AutomationDirect Customer Forum  

Welcome to the AutomationDirect Customer Forums.
These forums are intended as a place for AutomationDirect customers to help one another, share information, and share ideas.
The forums are not routinely monitored by AutomationDirect Technical Support staff. While staff members may answer questions occasionally, for a prompt response to a problem please contact Technical Support directly at: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 or e-mail Tech Support.

For product questions, start here: Online Manuals and Product Inserts

Go Back   AutomationDirect Customer Forum > General Applications

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 AM

CLICK PLC Serial Flow Control

In the configuration of the COM Ports there isn't an option for Flow Control. Is this because there is only one option and if so what is it or is there another reason?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM

PLC's typically don't use flow control. There are pins for hardware flow control (RTS/CTS), but they are rarely used and usually jumpered together.

PLC communications tends to be with one master device and one or more slave devices. Since the master device controls the data flow, there just isn't much need for flow control since the slave devices are assumed to be always ready.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM

I should have added in my initial post that I am using Port 2 [on the CLICK PLC] to communicate with a home automation controller that only supports ASCII. The home automation controller is essentially a custom PC.

Based on your reply though I assume I would be able to use hardware (RTS/CTS) flow control if my other hardware supported it.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Usually RS-232 flow control (hardware or software) are required when the baud rate is higher than reliable comm's can take place. If a baud rate is faster than the receiving end can process it, not just receive it, then flow control is needed.

The classic example is a serial printer. Even at 4800 baud, the printer can not keep up with the serial data arriving. I have a small Citizen serial (4.8K baud) interfaced to a DL260 rs-232 port and it simply must have flow control. I can't even get through the first line of print with out the flow control using the printer Busy signal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: