AutomationDirect Customer Forum  

Welcome to the AutomationDirect Customer Forums.
These forums are intended as a place for AutomationDirect customers to help one another, share information, and share ideas.
The forums are not routinely monitored by AutomationDirect Technical Support staff. While staff members may answer questions occasionally, for a prompt response to a problem please contact Technical Support directly at: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 or e-mail Tech Support.

For product questions, start here: Online Manuals and Product Inserts

Go Back   AutomationDirect Customer Forum > Operator Interface

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 AM

hmi communication timeout

hi
i am using a cmore EA7 S6C HMI with a GE fanuc veramax 23point PLC,
one of the problems i am having is that after i restart my whole system(meaning switching the power off and then on)
i get a commnication timeout error, to fix this i have to manually put the PLC in stop mode and then in run mode again.
i would like to know if there is a way that i dont have do this...the reason being is that the PLC will be locked in a panel. or if there are some settings that i can change to help me with this(poll time?)
or if through programming there exists a solution?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM

I suspect the error you're seeing is due to the C-More completing its power-on sequence before the PLC does. To test whether this is the case, try waiting until you see the run LED on the PLC before you turn on power to the PLC. If it turns out to be the cause, you could set up the C-More to power up to a screen without any tag values displayed on it and letting the user navigate to other screens once the PLC is running.

My experience with C-Mores has been that PLC timeout errors due to the PLC being offline are self-healing. This is true whether the offline condition was due to the PLC being powered down or the cable being disconnected. Eventually the C-More establishes communication with the PLC and the error message goes away. If it persists, I suggest you take a look at the C-More's error history for more details about what PLC address the C-More was trying to read from or write to when it generated the error.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM

thanks steve.
I experimented by powering my hmi a little bit later than plc(when Run led was on), but still the problem persists.I want to fix this problem as it is not possible that every time the worker has to use this machine ,he would have to open the panel box and make a transition between and stop and run mode.
Waiting for any reply
Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 PM

I also did some experimentation with poll time.Default cmore poll time is 0.i increased it to 15,but the problem is there.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Since, as Steve mentioned, CMORE communication time out faults are self healing, (IE once communications get established, the fault goes away by itself) I would be looking at the PLC as the problem child.

I took a quick look at the GE manual and saw stuff about port set up and power up defaults, fault handling related to the "stop/run" switch, etc...

I think a good look at the PLC manual will get this problem solved. Perhaps some faults can be read by the GE programming software to give a clue as to what is happening at power up.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM

What address in the PLC is the C-More trying to read when the fault occurs? To find out, you may need to look at the C-More's error log. It gives you details on exactly what transaction between the C-More and the PLC caused the error. To get to the error log, touch and hold the upper left corner of the display to get to the C-More setup menu.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bailey View Post
What address in the PLC is the C-More trying to read when the fault occurs? To find out, you may need to look at the C-More's error log. It gives you details on exactly what transaction between the C-More and the PLC caused the error. To get to the error log, touch and hold the upper left corner of the display to get to the C-More setup menu.
The address mentioned in the error log of cmore are some %R addresses %R242,%R493,%R1372,%R1339,%R1164.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 AM

I presume those are addresses tagged to objects on your CMORE start up page, or in the ALARM or Graph objects in the CMORE.

The fact that the CMORE can't read them still makes me think something is not right in the PLC power up sequence. Perhaps the comm port setup is not right at power up. Is there code in the PLC ladder logic that sets up the port?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM

thanks steve.
The problem has been solved .I put a very high value (270 msec)in the poll time.Any value below this does not solve my problem.but this high value of delay has made my hmi less responsive(a little bit slow).I want to decrease that delay.what should i do?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: