External 24vdc to digital inputs on GS3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External 24vdc to digital inputs on GS3

In reading the manual for the GS3 drives it seems you cannot use an external 24vdc power source for the digital inputs, just wanted to throw this out there in case I am reading this wrong somehow.

Seems sort of odd that you cannot do this, I mostly versed in Allen Bradley and Siemens Drives and some ABB, in all of these there is a way you can configure the drive to use external supplied 24vdc to the digital inputs.

Can someone who is versed in the GS3 drive please confirm that there is not a way to use external 24vdc to the digital inputs of the GS3?
    I am reading that you can not, but just having a hard time believing it.

If I cannot do this on the GS3 drives then additional relays will have to be added between the PLC outputs and the VFD inputs.
    Having to add addition relays between the PLC output and the drive input, for every input to every drive is a real downfall in the drives design if this is the case.

Thanks,
    BCS
    Changes in Latitude = Changes in Attitude
    ************Florida - Seattle - Alaska************

Yes, you cannot use external power to trigger inputs, as I believe their voltage is different than 24. You have to either use a relay output module on your plc, or use the card relays RS4N-DE or RS6N-DE.
    If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

Just use inter posing relays.

Comment

I've run into this same issue when replacing another brand of drive with a GS2 or GS3. I had to add a relay to accomplish the task. This is about my only issue with the AD drives.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation.
          Sort of took me by surprise when I read that you could not use external voltage. (fall back 15 yards and punt)

For what the GS3 drives cost compared to others I suppose this is just a minor inconvenience.

Thanks,
          BCS

Comment

I was looking at this issue a few days ago. In the appendix (B-8 for example), there are diagrams showing 24v sourcing outputs controlling the drives. I called tech support and was told the 'no external voltage' warning was a carry-over from a misprint in the original manual, and that the drive is definitely able to handle external 24 volt inputs.

Of course, I'd always recommend getting official word for yourself before putting your warranty on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Frontier View Post
              I was looking at this issue a few days ago. In the appendix (B-8 for example), there are diagrams showing 24v sourcing outputs controlling the drives. I called tech support and was told the 'no external voltage' warning was a carry-over from a misprint in the original manual, and that the drive is definitely able to handle external 24 volt inputs.

Of course, I'd always recommend getting official word for yourself before putting your warranty on the line.
              Well, that is certainly a good thing to know.
              I was pulled away from this project for a couple of days to do other things and was going to run the control from the PLC to 4 drives today.
              Glad I checked this thread again before I did.

If this is a misprint, they should correct that for sure. Having to install additional relays is not that big a deal for one drive but if you are doing multiple drives and have limited real estate, it could be a real PITA.

Thanks again for the post, I will call AD here in a bit to confirm.

BCS

Comment

AD tech support confirmed that you can use discrete 24vdc PLC outputs supplied from an external source to drive the GS3 digital inputs.

Very glad to see that this is possible. Makes the installation a lot cleaner without having to use extra relays.

Thanks again for the info Frontier.

BCS

Comment

I have been feeding a GS3 and a GS1 drive digital inputs directly from a P3000 digital outputs no problem for over a year now. The hookup seems a bit odd, but it works. You have to put the GS drives common voltage into the common of the PLC digital outputs you are using. This links the common of the GS drive with the common of your external 24v to allow the circuit to complete:
                  https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta...gs3m/appxb.pdf

Be sure and use a good class 2 PSU though for this. I am not sure if it was just random or what but I did have a GS3 drive die on me after I switched it to external voltage DIs. AutomationDirect replaced it right away, and the replacement hasnt had any issues for a year, but just a warning to use a good PSU.
                  Last edited by MikeN; 05-10-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                    I have been feeding a GS3 and a GS1 drive digital inputs directly from a P3000 digital outputs no problem for over a year now. The hookup seems a bit odd, but it works. You have to put the GS drives common voltage into the common of the PLC digital outputs you are using. This links the common of the GS drive with the common of your external 24v to allow the circuit to complete:

Be sure and use a good class 2 PSU though for this. I am not sure if it was just random or what but I did have a GS3 drive die on me after I switched it to external voltage DIs. AutomationDirect replaced it right away, and the replacement hasnt had any issues for a year, but just a warning to use a good PSU.
                    Ok I will bite.....What is a PSU?

Comment

Originally posted by Bering C Sparky View Post

Ok I will bite.....What is a PSU?
                      PSU = power supply unit
                      https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...s_2/PSC-24-060

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post

I had thought about that setup but was afraid I'd fry something in the drive. Good to know it works.

Comment

Working...
                        X