Encoder problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encoder problems

Trying to read an encoder signal from 2040 drive with 100w low inertia motor. I am using a micrologix 1100 plc using the high speed inputs. I notice the encoder sends a 0-5v signal and my on state for my inputs are 10-24v. I have I:0/0 as my OA and 0/1 as OB. I have mode 6 set on my hsc tab. Don't know if it's a wiring issue or my plc can't read that 5v signal?

IIRC, the ML1100 uses I:0/0 thru I:0/9 for the digital inputs, and I:0.1 (I:0/16) starts the high speed inputs word.
    Last edited by scott.lawrence; 05-30-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Inputs 0-3 are used for the hsc.

Comment

Inputs 0-3 need a minimum of 14 volts DC to turn on and 5VDC or less to turn off. You will need a level shifter of some sort if your encoder is 5 volts only.

Possible options (depending on your encoder) might be CTRIO TTL Annex Board from Host Engineering http://www.hosteng.com/HW-Products/CTRIO/CTRIO.htm see the bottom of the page.

or FC-ISO-C from AD https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ut%29/FC-ISO-C

I've used both satisfactorially.

The Host Eng product is tiny (TINY!), but a little harder to order, inexpensive, but mounting might be more difficult.

The FC-ISO-C is more cryptic to figure out the settings, easy to order, more expensive and pretty large comparatively.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
          Reading the description of the board, seems like this would connect directly to the inputs of my ml1100 controller without using the ctrio module? Thanks again.

Comment

The CTRIO is definitely not required as it is for AD PLCs, but it has a similar problem with 5V signal levels, hence the ANNEX board. So yes, it connects directly to the ML1100.

Comment

Thanks for your help Mike!

Comment

Working...
              X