Productivity 2000 to GS-EDRV100 DIRECTION

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Productivity 2000 to GS-EDRV100 DIRECTION

I have a p2000 to gs-edrv100 I can stat and stop the drive, change freq. I can not get the drive to change directions. I have changed par in t drive to allow for change of direction. I am writing a 1 or a 0 to P9.28 in the write to gs drive command.

In your GS Drives Write output, are you writing a "1" and "0" to the tag assigned to P9.28?
    If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

It could be an issue in the drive itself, not the EDRV or anything like that. In the GS Drives there is a parameter that disables reverse movement. I dont remember if that parameter defaults to on or off, I think off. But that would be worth checking out.

Comment

Hello all;
        I have the same problem this very moment. The drive will start, stop, jog, change speed... but there seems to be no way to change direction. Yes there is P9.28, but writing a 1 or 0 to it does nothing at all. One note is that in the GS book, they actually specify writing a "00" or "01", which of course you cannot do. You can type that in but it's going to disregard that leading zero, so I wonder if the EDRV is really looking for that 00/01. If so, we're screwed. But there must be SOME way to do this, I can't believe they would design this with no way to reverse a motor. We must simply be doing something wrong.

** EDIT **
        Ok, I seem to have figured this out. I have to say, for all the ease and simplicity that the GS-EDRV100 is touted as offering, it's not really like that at all. But first, here's what I had to do. So in ADDITION to writing a "0" or "1" to P9.28, you also must force the GSW command to actually do something with this knowledge by momentarily setting the "Run Mode Data" input true. And no, it's no good just connecting the input to the left to hold it true all the time. Because as mentioned in the help-file, its edge-driven. So what I had to do was drop a contact in there that simply pulses on once per second, in all GSW commands. So then after I set the direction, in a second or less it will actually be enacted.

What I don't understand is why this clumsy approach to the 2nd or 3rd most-commonly changed thing about a motor's operation, (after On/Off and Speed). The GSW command automatically commands the drive to change speed, but direction commands force you to add more logic to ring this Run Mode input. As I mentioned, the EDRV thing is touted as this plug-and-play thing which vastly simplifies everything, but in reality you're still setting things like timing offset, interlocking, and then trying to juggle the Run Mode and Stop Mode commands.... ugh, I doubt I'll buy any more of these. At $200, plus all the experimentation it takes to get everything figured out, I'm better off just saving the $200 x (number of drives in a system) and using trusty old RS-485, since I already know how to do all THAT juggling and interlocking.

This is one of the very few AD products I've been disappointed in.

Brian
        Last edited by Vintovka; 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Or, you could have a condition in your RUN rung that temporarily drops it whenever you change the direction.
          Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Vintovka View Post
            Hello all;
            I have the same problem this very moment. The drive will start, stop, jog, change speed... but there seems to be no way to change direction. Yes there is P9.28, but writing a 1 or 0 to it does nothing at all. One note is that in the GS book, they actually specify writing a "00" or "01", which of course you cannot do. You can type that in but it's going to disregard that leading zero, so I wonder if the EDRV is really looking for that 00/01. If so, we're screwed. But there must be SOME way to do this, I can't believe they would design this with no way to reverse a motor. We must simply be doing something wrong.

** EDIT **
            Ok, I seem to have figured this out. I have to say, for all the ease and simplicity that the GS-EDRV100 is touted as offering, it's not really like that at all. But first, here's what I had to do. So in ADDITION to writing a "0" or "1" to P9.28, you also must force the GSW command to actually do something with this knowledge by momentarily setting the "Run Mode Data" input true. And no, it's no good just connecting the input to the left to hold it true all the time. Because as mentioned in the help-file, its edge-driven. So what I had to do was drop a contact in there that simply pulses on once per second, in all GSW commands. So then after I set the direction, in a second or less it will actually be enacted.

What I don't understand is why this clumsy approach to the 2nd or 3rd most-commonly changed thing about a motor's operation, (after On/Off and Speed). The GSW command automatically commands the drive to change speed, but direction commands force you to add more logic to ring this Run Mode input. As I mentioned, the EDRV thing is touted as this plug-and-play thing which vastly simplifies everything, but in reality you're still setting things like timing offset, interlocking, and then trying to juggle the Run Mode and Stop Mode commands.... ugh, I doubt I'll buy any more of these. At $200, plus all the experimentation it takes to get everything figured out, I'm better off just saving the $200 x (number of drives in a system) and using trusty old RS-485, since I already know how to do all THAT juggling and interlocking.

This is one of the very few AD products I've been disappointed in.

Brian
            I'll start by saying that I know next to nothing about Productivity's implementation with the EDRV100, except that I'm pretty sure they are using it only as a raw Modbus/TCP interface to the drive, any "plug and play" limitations are a function of the PLC's implementation and not the EDRV100. I don't know for certain if the EDRV100's native interface handles any of your concerns better, but I don't think it's completely fair to brand the EDRV100 as a disappointment. I also realize that as a user you can't know which interface was used and why, I just wanted it to be clear that the limitation may not be the EDRV100 itself.

Comment

You might need to issue a stop, to actually stop the drive before changing direction. Try to stop it first, then reverse and restart.

Comment

Working...
              X