Wiring Latch Relay to GS2 drive input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Latch Relay to GS2 drive input

Hi, I have been tasked with drilling holes into continuous plastic tubing. I want to move the tubing at 60 feet/minute, stop it, drill holes, then move tubing again, stop, drill, etc. Through internet research I found Automation Direct and ordered a 1HP inverter duty motor, 20:1 gearbox and a GS2 drive. I think I figured out the drive parameters but need help with the proper relay to trigger the input signal to turn on/off the drive. I attached a wheel to the gearbox along with proxy sensor. The proxy sensor is wired to an old preset electronic counter. As the wheel drives the tubing forward, the preset counter counts down. My counter does not have a latched output, only an adjustable momentary for up to 1 sec. I was thinking of using this output to latch a relay. Wire the relay to fire a solenoid which activates an air piston to drill the holes. When solenoid activated air piston returns, It contacts a limit switch and I was hoping to unlatch the relay and start the motor to move the tubing again. Seems simple but I have no idea what to get for a relay. The presetter has a built in 12 VDC power supply so I assume I can use that to power the relay. Looking for relay suggestion or any suggestions to make this a simple circuit. Maybe the drive can handle all this, not sure.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

try these, just make sure the contact rating matches what you need....

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...l&TxnNumber=-1

Comment

Whatcha drilling with?

If you're doing small holes, these guys have air powered units that get a large air line for power, and take a small air pulse for a start signal. Upon start signal, they will do their own spin and feed and retract. Easy integration.

http://www.desouttertools.com/en/pro...afd/index.aspx
      Bob

Comment

It's not that simple, wish it was. Government specs of the drilled tube call for three rows of holes(4" apart) around the tube 120 degrees from each other. I designed a gang box to drill 7 liner holes at once. I have three of them. I will use 3 different air cylinders to fire all three gang boxes at once.

Punching one or two holes at a time in my opinion will cycle the 3 phase motor on/off way to quick.

Comment

Thanks, will check into them. I think amps will be under 1.

Comment

Oh, Government work. This should help. These specifications were emailed to me just the other day.

Government Pipe Specifications

1. All pipe is to be made of a long hole, surrounded by metal or plastic centered around the hole.

2. All pipe is to be hollow throughout the entire length - do not use holes of different length than the pipe.

3. The I.D. (inside diameter) of all pipe must not exceed the O.D. (outside diameter) - otherwise the hole will be on the outside.

4. All pipe is to be supplied with nothing in the hole so that water, steam or other stuff can be put inside at a later date.

5. All pipe should be supplied without rust - this can be more readily applied at the job site. N.B. Some Vendors are now able to supply pre-rusted pipe. If available in your area, this product is recommended as it will save a lot of time on the job site.

6. All pipe over 500 ft (153m) in length should have the words "long pipe" clearly painted on each end, so the Contractor will know it is a long pipe.

7. Pipe over 2 miles (3.2 km) in length must have the words "very long pipe" painted in the middle, so the Contractor will not have to walk the entire length of the pipe to determine whether or not it is a long pipe or a very long pipe.

8. All pipe over 6" (152 mm) in diameter must have the words "large pipe" painted on it, so the Contractor will not mistake it for small pipe.

9. Flanges must be used on all pipe. Flanges must have holes for bolts quite separate from the big hole in the middle.

10. When ordering 90 degrees, 45 degrees or 30 degrees elbow, be sure to specify right hand or left hand; otherwise you will end up going the wrong way.

11. Be sure to specify to your vendor whether you want level, uphill or downhill pipe. If you use downhill pipe for going uphill, the water will flow the wrong way.

12. All couplings should have either right hand or left hand thread, but do not mix the threads - otherwise, as the coupling is being screwed on one pipe, it is unscrewed from the other.

Bob

Comment

The specs are different for plastic tubing used as drainage tile vs. pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob S BN View Post
                Government Pipe Specifications

1. All pipe is to be made of a long hole, surrounded by metal or plastic centered around the hole.

2. All pipe is to be hollow throughout the entire length - do not use holes of different length than the pipe.

3. The I.D. (inside diameter) of all pipe must not exceed the O.D. (outside diameter) - otherwise the hole will be on the outside.

4. All pipe is to be supplied with nothing in the hole so that water, steam or other stuff can be put inside at a later date.

5. All pipe should be supplied without rust - this can be more readily applied at the job site. N.B. Some Vendors are now able to supply pre-rusted pipe. If available in your area, this product is recommended as it will save a lot of time on the job site.

6. All pipe over 500 ft (153m) in length should have the words "long pipe" clearly painted on each end, so the Contractor will know it is a long pipe.

7. Pipe over 2 miles (3.2 km) in length must have the words "very long pipe" painted in the middle, so the Contractor will not have to walk the entire length of the pipe to determine whether or not it is a long pipe or a very long pipe.

8. All pipe over 6" (152 mm) in diameter must have the words "large pipe" painted on it, so the Contractor will not mistake it for small pipe.

9. Flanges must be used on all pipe. Flanges must have holes for bolts quite separate from the big hole in the middle.

10. When ordering 90 degrees, 45 degrees or 30 degrees elbow, be sure to specify right hand or left hand; otherwise you will end up going the wrong way.

11. Be sure to specify to your vendor whether you want level, uphill or downhill pipe. If you use downhill pipe for going uphill, the water will flow the wrong way.

12. All couplings should have either right hand or left hand thread, but do not mix the threads - otherwise, as the coupling is being screwed on one pipe, it is unscrewed from the other.

without this, I'd never have known the depth of intelligence our gov possesses...

Comment

Yep, #11 is the best

Comment

I think I need a latching relay so the drive stays on until the presetter counts down to zero. I found 120 volt one so I assume I need to use two relays, the 12VDC signal from the presetter to a 12vdc relay, then that relay fires 120VAC latch relay.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...s)/755-2C-120A

Comment

Use a standard realy and wire a holding circuit. Use a spare set of contacts on the relay to hold the relay in once it energizes. Wire the holding circuit through a NC contact in your retract limit switch so when the drill retracts, the circuit is broken and the realy de-energizes.

Comment

Excellent idea. I also found this since the existing preset counter is so old, maybe this unit will do the job of the old presetter plus the relays.

http://www.automationdirect.com/stat...rtimertach.pdf

Comment

Working...
                        X