What VFD and equipment do I need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What VFD and equipment do I need?

I'm looking to power a 3 phase 10 HP motor utilizing a single phase 230 VAC input.

Not sure about ADC's offering, especially with the new line, but many families of VFD don't offer single phase support above about 5hp. The ABB ACS-550 does have it to a much higher hp level, but I'm not sure exactly how high. I'm sure 10hp is no problem. I was kind of irked when I found that out, because it's been using 550s for over 10 years and didn't know it. Despite having a unique capability in the market, none of their sales literature mentioned it!

Comment

I'm looking to power a 3 phase 10 HP motor utilizing a single phase 230 VAC input.
      The GS4-2025 is advertised as being able to do it.

Comment

If at all possible you should use a 3 phase power circuit. If that is just not possible, then a GS4 is the only series that can do higher than 3HP on a single phase input.
        Though it may be more beneficial for your company to invest in a large phase splitter (50-75HP worth) so that you can power multiple devices on 3 phase in the future. A phase splitter with about 70 amps of 3 phase output current is around $3500, and you could run 50 horsepower worth of motors on it. Whereas if you just keep buying large single phase input VFDs, you spend the same amount of money just buying 3-4 10HP VFDs.

Comment

The thing is it's a home shop so no 3-phase available. I just received a quote from a machinery supplier but the motor is 380 VAC/50Hz @ 15 kW. Is that doable? or should I just re-specify my requirements.

Comment

It looks like you'll be limited to 230V out with that drive. Do you have any 230V motor options?

Comment

Originally posted by Novaman67 View Post
              The thing is it's a home shop so no 3-phase available. I just received a quote from a machinery supplier but the motor is 380 VAC/50Hz @ 15 kW. Is that doable? or should I just re-specify my requirements.
              is this the same motor? Cause 15kw isn't 10hp, it's 20hp. Also, there's more to running a VFD with single-phase input than finding a drive that will accept it. The other issue is the capacity of the input rectifiers. Since you're only using some of them, the VFD can't rectify as much DC power to the bus as it can with three-phase input, so you can't operate as big a motor as you could if you provided three-phase power to the same drive. Typically, manufacturers want a 50% derate on motor power. So if your motor is actually 20hp rather than 10hp as stated, and adding the derate, you should be shopping for a 40hp rated VFD (and since I take it that this is the spindle motor, you should be using the constant-torque or heavy-duty rating as opposed to the wussy and often more publicized variable-torque or light-duty rating, which might jump you even one more size).

And like the other poster noted, you're not getting 380V out of a drive that you're feeding 240V, even if it were three phase. A VFD can take care of the three-phase issue for you, but it won't substitute for a transformer, so you should check and see if the motor has 190V or similar rated windings, or a different motor, or get a transformer to make your own single-phase 380 or 480V.

Comment

Working...
              X