GS Logic Analog Reading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS Logic Analog Reading

From what I'm reading, the GS4 Drive only has a 1: 10,000 resolution for it's analog ( Max Scale 0 to 10,000 ), and there are no other analog cards available for the G4 Drive..

I want to do some internal Tabulations with the On-Board PLC, I'd like to get better resolution than that.. So my thought is to go a 4-20 to Mod Bus Transmitter ..
    From my understanding, the Internal PLC can not do Network Communications, it can only receive Outside Data by reading Common registers that are written to by a Mod Bus master.. at 8.20 through 8.39.. Of the Drive.

That leaves me with needing a Mod Bus 4-20 Ma Converter Transmitter that is a Mod Bus Master, talking to the PLC through 8.20-8.39..

Any body have a better way to get 16 Bit Analog Resolution to the GS4 PLC ?..

Cap

Although there may be something cheaper around, a BRX plc with analog would perform this at 16 bit if the input was set up to be unipolar. $370

Comment

Originally posted by RogerR View Post
      Although there may be something cheaper around, a BRX plc with analog would perform this at 16 bit if the input was set up to be unipolar. $370
      There's a couple BX-DM1E-10 1/1 analog input/output models around $326/$327, if OP only needed 1 channel. It can do Modbus/RTU and/or Modbus/TCP mastering with the onboard serial and Ethernet ports.

And you would get 10 discrete I/O and 1 analog output channel, and an SD Card slot for data logging, all thrown in for free
      There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

The exercise of this New Project, was to see how far I could take the 'On Board PLC' for data gathering and processing in the Winery..

The GS4 in Question is Presently going on a Grape Feeding Hopper, Drive pump ( It's like a Concrete Slurry pump ) and it will be making speed decision based upon how full the hopper is ( Sonic 4-20 Ma ) and what the operator Requested Speed is ( Analog Pot Input ) and what the Discharge Pressure is ( Also Analog ).. all of this looks like the GS4 can do that job..

I was wondering if the GS4 could also do a measure Flow and Calculate Total Gallons Pumped, and then Stop at a Certain Gallons ( For Semi-Auto Blending ).. I presently have that project hooked to a Drive, '06, Touch Screen, and Flow meter doing the Batch Process.. All on a portable Pump Cart.. It's also Wireless E-Net Linked for another feature it does during the harvest..

I was wondering if the GS4 could do that job.. It's looking like that might be a Stretch for it's Comm Capabilities.. I'd have to hook up the Flow meter and check the 1:10000 resolution and see how it actually compares to the 1:65535 of the '06.. Presently the Error gallons is only 125 gallons in 52,000 gallons for the '06 Unit... So the bar is set high right now..

I know the Do-More is the Platform to go to.. But I'm an Old Dog with a GREAT Subroutine Library for the Legacy PLC's.. the Do-More I'd have to learn all over again.. and come up with new routines..

Heck.. I Still have a Model T Ford I daily Drive.. So change is hard for me to do..

Cap

Comment

Originally posted by Cap View Post
          I know the Do-More is the Platform to go to.. But I'm an Old Dog with a GREAT Subroutine Library for the Legacy PLC's.. the Do-More I'd have to learn all over again.. and come up with new routines..
          If you know DL, Do-more is like a brand new pair of comfortable old shoes. Put them on once and you'll never go back.

Comment

Working...
          X