Stepper stalling and continuing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepper stalling and continuing

PLC: DL205 9 slot base, DL260 CPU, 32 input sinking card, 32 output sinking card, two H2-CTRIO and one ECOM 10/100
    POWER 208VAC single phase.

Have 8 machines with identical code and configuration. The motors are from the sure-step family.

Problem: When the trapazoid profile stored in the CTRIO card is run for one of the motors, the profile can complete, but the motor is jerky in its movement ocassionally. It can be fine for 10 movements and then be jerky. Then at 15 movements. Then after a couple of movements. Even when under no load, Have tried replacing all components: CPU base, CTRIO wiring, cabling, the motor, the connectors, the driver board and powersupply, shielding all cables and even signals from the CTRIO to the Driver.

Any advice?

are you using I-Boxes in the PLC program?

can you post the CTRIO file?

Comment

Found it.

I do not use IBoxes for anything.
      However, I found the problem.

I noticed that the motor would vibrate at irregular intervals when the machine was idle and the motor was not being commanded to run. I disconnected the pulse output from the CTRIO and the vibrations ceased. I replaced that wire from the CTRIO to the driver and the vibrations were back. I then removed the 5V - wire from the stepper supply to the CTRIO and the vibrations stopped again. I replaced that wire and viola, the vibrations stopped and the motor now functions normally during all movements.

Discovered that the single pin connector, that the tech installed on the ends of all of the wires, had been over crimped. This broke all but one strand of the wire. I should have used an O'scope to begin with!

Comment

More Information:
        A similar problem is also found when multiple axis are used the Step and Direction power sources have their Positive or Negative tied together, either by the internal CTRIO(2) jumpers or deliberately at the power sources. (My case was using the Motor power supplies from AD and the jumpers tied both channel's P connections to each other.)

Comment

Working...
        X