Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Click Sinking Analog Output to GS2 Sinking Analog Input.....How does that happen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just following up. Bought the FC-33 and everything works as expected. Followed calibration procedure in the FC-33 and the scaled output out of the PLC is pretty close to actual as measured when interrupting the circuit with an ammeter to the drive; Within .2mA. Creates a slight difference in the Hz called out by the PLC (thats what I'm scaling in) but other than that, it's solid.
    Last edited by esp400; 04-12-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Good to know.
      i find it peculiar that the plc output can not drive the analog interface of the VFD.
      The signal conditioner youíre using is essentially an analog supply similar in any way to the analog plc output. Fact that it works with the conditioner but it doesnít work in direct connection between plc and drive says that something is not right.

Im arguing it on the basis that the vfd doesnít require a signal conditioner to work, nor the plc output.

That you managed to get it going, is good. Are you sure it wonít work if you just removed the conditioner and connected directly the plc to drive? We like to clear the things, rather than just claim a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandru View Post
        Are you sure it wonít work if you just removed the conditioner and connected directly the plc to drive? We like to clear the things, rather than just claim a fix.
        It has been clear for a long time, in fact, it is in the title of this thread, "Click Sinking Analog Output" the built in current outputs on a CLICK are weird. While your comments would be relevant to a conventional sourcing current output, that is not what this thread is about, it is about the weird CLICK output which can not drive a GS2 directly.

Comment

You are the only person who maintains this. You have already said it so many times. Spreading a rumour doesnít make it true, doesnít matter how many times you say it. Please stop embarrassing yourself repeatedly and let someone who may have something else to say- even in support to your allegations.

i donít believe what you say. You have no authority to make claims and there is no one else to support them. Accept the facts and contribute if you can, but not with unsubstantiated rumours.

ĎThis is an issue that seems resolved with a fix that only raises more questions. And I donít want to have your explanations, want to hear from the initiator. I thought I made that much clear already.

The reason something is fishy is simple:
          1. The check the initiator posted is wrong. Once he wrongly checks the output of the plc analog port, twice he further appears to check a voltage output with the ammeter (on the drive output). He offers no further confirmation nor he negates the wrong done.
          2. I have offered a solid way to check the hardware. Iím not talking about silly suppositions, but a fail-safe method to check either the plc or the drive side. Would the initiator cared to check the hardware, then at least we would all know the results. So far, we know nothing.
          3. He comes back to say that using a conditioner fixed the issue. I can accept that, however any plc electrician or plc technician could confirm that the conditioner should not be the solution here. I checked the drive manual and it doesnít recommend the use of a conditioner. I donít think the plc output is made that it requires the use of another 100$ device per port, in order to work. In fact I am sure this is not the case.

So all these are facts. I donít care if an issue is fixed. I care to understand what was the issue. In general, I want to see the world I live in safer rather than quick-fixed. So far there is no answer to the question.

Comment

So all these are facts. I donít care if an issue is fixed. I care to understand what was the issue. In general, I want to see the world I live in safer rather than quick-fixed. So far there is no answer to the question.
            I suspect the OP is happy to have his system working and won't be trying things that no longer matter so much to him.

I also like to know why something doesn't work that probably ought to. It was nice to know that he got his system working.

The Click appears to have a sinking output and the VFD has a sinking input. You probably could make it work for single channel, but the first guy that comes along and makes a wiring change will probably break it. The choice of the sinking output on the Click is unfortunate (unless you are in the business of selling isolators too.)

A nice explanation here: https://api-usa.com/appnotes/api_sink-source.pdf

Comment

i donít believe what you say. You have no authority to make claims and there is no one else to support them.
              No one?

Originally posted by Do-more PE View Post
              You will need a signal conditioner such as a FC-33. http://www.automationdirect.com/pn/FC-33
              note that Do-more PE did not say the OP had made a wiring error, he said one would NEED a signal conditioner.
              I then suggested another option was the current output add on module for the CLICK, which is "normal", not weird like the built in outputs

I care to understand what was the issue.
              Whether YOU believe it or not, the issue is that THE CLICK BUILT IN OUTPUT IS WIERD. Fortunately the original poster did not waste a lot of time not believing the facts, but rather implemented one recommended solution and got the system working. I don't know you won't let this go, I already said your points would be valid for a "normal" output, but the CLICK's built in current outputs are not "normal" and this thread was about the CLICK built in current output.

https://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Locking this thread since the OP has an answer.
                If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                X