Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Click Sinking Analog Output to GS2 Sinking Analog Input.....How does that happen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• esp400
    replied
    I am using only one analog output from the PLC. That is really all I need so I'm thinking isolation is probably best. I've never used a signal conditioner before or implemented one into an application. Is the one that is linked above gonna work with this application or should I just call in and have them spec it out? My coworker (controls engineer) also suggested perhaps buying the add on output module that would provide 4-20mA sourcing. Is this a better idea? Is there a way to use the 10VDC signal (internal power supply) out of the GS2 to accomplish this? I can see the current speed reference on the multimeter in the 20/200 mA range by interrupting the circuit and referencing the analog output of the PLC and the 10VDC signal out of the GS2.

Leave a comment:

• esp400
    replied
    to connect the analog output to drive analog input:
    1. Connect the drive analog com(AC) to the plc com port corresponding to the analog output
    2. Connect the plc output to drive analog input(AI)
    3. Make sure the drive is configured to accept analog reference (P4.00 set to 03)
    This is how it is connected. There is no current reference with this configuration.

Leave a comment:

• Tinker
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexandru View Post
    Analog output is not defined in terms of sourcing or sinking. Only digital IO are defined in terms of sourcing and sinking.
    Analog output is essentially a power supply able to provide the current. Two conductors leave the plc output: signal and com.
    The CLICK built in current outputs are weird, they are not power supplies, the are current sinks, and both outputs share a common so it is not clear how to put one in series with an external power supply, though now that I'm writing this, I'm wondering, if one was only using one analog output, could one connect the common to the load and the "output" to a suitable power supply?

Leave a comment:

• Alexandru
    replied
    Analog output is not defined in terms of sourcing or sinking. Only digital IO are defined in terms of sourcing and sinking.
    Analog output is essentially a power supply able to provide the current. Two conductors leave the plc output: signal and com.

to connect the analog output to drive analog input:
    1. Connect the drive analog com(AC) to the plc com port corresponding to the analog output
    2. Connect the plc output to drive analog input(AI)
    3. Make sure the drive is configured to accept analog reference (P4.00 set to 03)

This is off-topic, but I hope will be found useful:
    About dc sinking or sourcing outputs
    sourcing means that the load is already connected to negative rail of a dc circuit and the plc output provides a path from positive rail to the load. It is implemented using a bipolar pnp transistor as a switch.
    Sinking means that the load is already connected to positive rail and the connection to the plc output provides a path to the negative rail. Is implemented using a bipolar npn transistor.

the load is a dc device like a dc relay.

about dc sinking or sourcing inputs
    in this case, the load is represented by plc input.
    the input is called sinking if the path provided by the device connected to the input is towards the negative rail.
    It is called sourcing if it requires a path from positive dc rail.

Leave a comment:

• Tinker
    replied
    One might alternatively consider adding a https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...-z-o/c0-04da-1 which not only has the more conventional sourcing output, it would also give you an additional three outputs in case you ever needed them.

On the other hand, an isolating conditioner would give you isolation, so if you only need one channel that might be the best option, but for more than one channel conditioners could get expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Do-more PE
    replied
    You will need a signal conditioner such as a FC-33. http://www.automationdirect.com/pn/FC-33

Leave a comment:

• Click Sinking Analog Output to GS2 Sinking Analog Input.....How does that happen?

I'm trying to control a GS2 via analog speed reference. I'm scaling 0-60Hz to 4-20mA out of the Click Koyo to the analog input of the GS2. When I put a meter in series to check the amperage to see if it matches what the output status states is current mA level, I get nothing. When I put it on the 10VDC output of the drive (internally supplied) which is the terminal adjacent to the Analog Input on the drive, there's my current reference. So I believe I have a sinking output to a sinking input. How do I make this work? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Working...
X