Controlling 4 Stepper motors with BX-DM1e-36ED23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling 4 Stepper motors with BX-DM1e-36ED23

I'm building a machine that requires individual control of 4 motors. Since the Do-More has 8 high speed outputs, and each STP-DRV-6575 require 2 inputs, I thought I could control all 4. However, the software only lets me define 3 axis. Will it let me define more if I add a BX-HSIO2? I'm not clear as to why I need one.
    Thanks,

yes the BRX's high speed output card lets you have more high speed axis control channels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSIO.png
Views:	74
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	126573
    Last edited by MikeN; 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

There are eight high speed outputs that can be driven by any of the high speed output functions: 1) motion axes, 2) PWMs, 3) table driven outputs, and 4) direct output from interrupts or code. BRX is limited to three motion axes because of available computational resources....out of MIPs in the processors and out of gates in the gate array. Each BX-HSIO module basically adds a duplicate of the high speed function processor in the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
        There are eight high speed outputs that can be driven by any of the high speed output functions: 1) motion axes, 2) PWMs, 3) table driven outputs, and 4) direct output from interrupts or code. BRX is limited to three motion axes because of available computational resources....out of MIPs in the processors and out of gates in the gate array. Each BX-HSIO module basically adds a duplicate of the high speed function processor in the CPU.
        so how many bx-hsio modules can run successfully in axis mode? just the first 3?

Comment

Originally posted by quaizywabbit View Post

so how many bx-hsio modules can run successfully in axis mode? just the first 3?
          How many modules can run axes? Up to eight modules, 3+1 axes each.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
            yes the BRX's high speed output card lets you have more high speed axis control channels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSIO.png
Views:	74
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	126573
            Axes are all 3+1 in the CPU and modules. We added a 4th high speed input in the modules.

Comment

Another way to control 4 axes is by using serial commands along with one of Applied Motion's serial hubs (4-port and 8-port versions are available).

If going this route, any SCL command needs to be preceded with the axis number. If you want to send a Motor Enable command to axis 3 you'd send a 3ME command to the serial hub, and it strips the "3" and sends the command to its port 3. Responses from the drive come back in a similar manner (response value with the port number as a prefix). I've used this approach in projects before the HSIO modules were available. I haven't used any of the axis commands or STEP & DIR functions with the BRX, so I am not familiar as to which solution is more advantageous. Part of that depends on the application.

Comment

Working...
              X