Torque / Speed curve for Y360 motor and GS1-10P5 VFD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque / Speed curve for Y360 motor and GS1-10P5 VFD

Hello, I have retrofitted an old printing press with a Y360 Marathon MicroMAX Motor EVJ 56H17T2017A P and a GS1-10P5 VFD. It works but not very well on the low end. It trips out in low RPMS. Is there a torque / speed curve for this pair? I would like to choose / design a gear head so that I can run it faster and get more output torque. The MicroMAX specs for this motor state that I should expect "Constant torque operation from 0 to base speed (TENV ratings)". What is the base speed for this combination? I think I may be operating in the mud here but don't know where that ends.

The GS1-10P5 is a simple V/Hz drive. To get the performance out of the Y360, you'll need a drive capable of open loop vector operation. Open loop vector mode works better with larger motors (higher current feedback for the drive) so you might want to look at adding an encoder to the motor. That, in conjunction with a vector capable drive, will get you what you're looking for.

Comment

The MicroMax motors typically have 20:1 constant torque rating. I dont know why a couple models say 1000:1 but it seems like a typo to me.

With 20:1, the best you will get with sensorless vector drive is around 87RPM minimum speed with full torque capability.
      If you plan on running the motor at very low speeds quite often, then as you said either use a gearbox on it so it can run better speeds, or you may want to oversize the VFD by 1 size.

Be sure and tune the drive when using sensorless vector VFD as well.
      Last edited by MikeN; 12-02-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

" "Constant torque operation from 0 to base speed (TENV ratings)". What is the base speed for this combination? "
        Base RPM is 1800, if torque is constant, then the torque/speed curve is a straight line.
        In many applications one needs power as much or more than torque per se . Power is speed times force (torque) if speed is low, power is low. One can have a ship load of torque but if the speed is zero that ship isn't going anywhere.
        One might think that a printing press is pretty much a constant torque device, but I believe most presses rely a lot on the energy stored in the flywheel to get past impression, and flywheel energy storage is proportional to the square of the speed, so slowing down makes them much less effective.

Metal forming presses that operate at low speed tend to put the gearing between the flywheel and the crank, not between motor and flywheel, but that probably would not be an easy retrofit for existing equipment
        Last edited by Tinker; 12-02-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I have a 1/4HP MicroMax motor here and I can get servo like performance out of it running off of a Danfoss FC301 drive in closed lop vector mode. It's night and day running it in V/HZ mode. The 1000:1 torque range is only with a vector drive (probably closed loop).

Comment

Working...
          X