AutomationDirect GS Drives Serial protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AutomationDirect GS Drives Serial protocol

I am trying to use a GS3 drive with a EA9-T7CL panel. Has anyone used the AutomationDirect GS Drives Serial protocol? When creating tags in the database I get a nice description of the P parameter in the memory type field. But the panel doesn't communicate with the drive. I thought their driver with their drive would work. I was told to use Modicon Modbus RTU. If I change to that protocol, the device changes to "internal". And the tag name link to the parameter seems to be gone. Has anyone used the GS Drive Serial protocol successfully?

Please post pics of your configs (comms and TagDatabase entry of a tag that does not work) and comms wiring.
    And if possible param listing of P9.00-P9.07

Comment

My guess would be a wiring issue. The sad part about old modbus serial is that just because two devices have the same connector on them, does not mean the wiring pin out is the same between them. You either need to make the correct cable yourself, or be sure and buy the exact right cable that have the wiring your devices use. If once of the devices doesnt have the pins going to the correct wires then it wont work.

Comment

kewaki, here is the config screen and tag names. If I switch to Modbus protocol the internal devices appear as shown for GS3.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	GS3GS2_tagdatabase.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	129613Click image for larger version

Name:	GS3_Modbus_Config.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	129614
        The GS3 drive is connected with a RJ12 cable that came with the USB-485M interface from AutomationDirect.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hawkins View Post
          The GS3 drive is connected with a RJ12 cable that came with the USB-485M interface from AutomationDirect.
          That is the incorrect cable, and the incorrect port on the HMI.
          The EA9-T7CL's RJ12 "port 3" is RS-232 only, the GS3 has an RS-485 connection. different protocols, different wiring. The RJ12 cable also doesnt have the right wire pinout for connecting these devices on those physical ports.
          You must use port 1 or port 2 for RS-485 serial comms on the EA9 panel.
          Last edited by MikeN; 03-24-2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

That is very helpful. I will try port 2 as the MicroLogix is on port 1. Thank you MikeN.

Comment

Working...
            X