PLC and stepper motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLC and stepper motors

Hello everyone, I am new to PLCs and i am trying to make a system with 13 stepper motors that i want to be controlled by a PLC. I don't know which PLC to choose and the HMI for this purpose. Goa word counterl is very simple, i will ente VidMate r some parameters with the HMI interface and the system will work on a predefined path. I just don't know which PLC can provide PWM as to the DMA860 stepper driver. And if possible can the same PLC provide 230 ac relay outputs too?.10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 hotmail.com
    Last edited by farukhcasy2; 04-11-2020, 06:46 PM.

It would be very difficult to answer this without knowing if (any of) the 13 steppers are all required to work together in a multi-axis motion.
    Surely, most any (non smart-relay) style PLC , in theory, *could* control 13 stepper drivers.
    (I think your term 'PWM' may not be correct for the DMA860 driver. They are Step/Dir or CW/CCW -- at least from what I saw on a 2 minute google))
    Whether said PLC could provide any trajectory planner/pulsetrain for emitting a CNC-type toolpath is another issue altogether.
    Any PLC can provide a switching signal for a relay that can switch 230VAC
    Last edited by kewakl; 03-31-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I agree with kewaki, you'll need step/direction outputs. PWM will not work. Please provide more info. on what steppers will be working in a coordinated manner. 13 axes is a lot for a PLC without special motion control I/O. If you need to do complex tool paths or anything you're much better suited to using a dedicated motion controller over a PLC unless this is a hobby thing.

Comment

Working...
      X