Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS3, DoMore, and FA-Isocon vs EDRV100

Gents!
    I just looked at the EDRV100 Ethernet to GS drive interface and I like what I see BUT, spending $200.00 per drive for the privilege is steep. I am used to using the MBgateway and the FA-ISOCON for Modbus comms so I am sure I can make the communications work. That is not the question.

The question is: Will the DoMore 'recognize' the GS drives and load them in naitively as if I was using the EDRV100?

They appear as Remote IO if you use the GS-EDRV100. Do-more will not recognize the MB-GATEWAY as Remote IO, it will have to be polled manually in the ladder.

Edit: I missed seeing the ISOCON in the header. BobO is right, lots of effort to integrate serially vs Ethernet. Mostly because, "What is important data?" varies from customer to customer so there would need to be a lot of flexibility.
    Last edited by Do-more PE; 07-26-2015, 07:05 AM.
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Much bigger effort, because it essentially means integrating the full EDRV100 into the DM1. We have talked about it though, and if there was demand, it is something we might consider.

Comment

Thank you and a follow-up question.

Thank you Domore PE and BobO.

I suspected the truth. It comes down to: what is needed information...and when.

My follow-up question comes from a hint I read elsewhere on the HOST forum: Are the EDRV100 meant just for one GS-drive or can one EDRV100 talk to several GS-drives?

I have four drives I want to talk to and I want to use the EDRV100 since the DoMore can then integrate it into its memory structure like a CTRIO or analog module. If I have to spend a few hours carefully hand-picking the data via an ISOCON or MBGateway versus $800.00 for four EDRV100s, I'll use the ISOCON.

Comment

Each drive has to have it's own EDRV.
          If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Rats! Thank you DoMorePE. I thought I had found a work-around.

I certainly hope A-D gets around to including Ethernet in the GS3s before too much longer! ($$$$$)

Comment

I too was struck by the "$200 ethernet option" for GS3 which the EDRV essentially is, and I too was looking for a workaround (like, seriously, is this not the 21st century? The latest and greatest can't communicate without a go-between?) But hey they still don't even come close to the cost of any other reputable brand. And lets face it, 95% of users don't need ethernet on a drive and never will.

I recently priced a project using P-2000 controller, 15" Cmore, and GS3 drives - against using equivalent A-B components - and the price difference was unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
              X