Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GL-06, H0_CTRIO, STP-DRV-4850 - how to move?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL-06, H0_CTRIO, STP-DRV-4850 - how to move?

Hi,

I have no background in PLCs, stepper motors, controllers, etc. and I am learning as I go.

I've got a DL-06 with H0_CTRIO connected to a STP-DRV-4850 step motor driver. CTRIO Y0 goes to the 4850 STEP-, and Y1 goes to the 4850 DIR-. On the 4850, DIR+ and STEP+ are wired to +5V.

I've used SureStep to configure the motor driver for the motor we're using. I've used the CTRIO workbench to configure the H0_CTRIO. Out0/1 is Pulse Output Step/Direction and output memory is mapped to V2030. I'm using DirectSOFT 5 to try to run the Velocity mode example from the HX-CTRIO-M manual Chapter 8.

Instead of the rising edge C0 from the example, I'm using a normally closed pushbutton to start the setting initialization. This pushbutton, when depressed, also is supposed to stop the motor. I'm setting the direction by just doing a SET on B2056.4.

I run the instructions, and I can see that the SP0 first scan occurs. I can see when I press the button to start the motor. If the PLC has the RUN mode switch on, I can see that something happens with the CTRIO Y0 and Y1. Unfortunately, the motor doesn't move.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark_F; 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM. Reason: Correct PLC identifier

Also, In the example Velocity Mode logic, there is a step where you do a LD V3000 as "Target Velocity (Decimal)." Is V3000 actually a location in memory rather than a speed?

Thanks,
    Mark

Comment

V3000 is the address of a location in memory . The instruction is loading its contents, which may very well represent a speed.
      thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I'm not intentionally loading anything into the V3000 memory location, so I'll either need to set that up or load a value directly.

I made that change. It didn't change the fact that I can't turn the motor, but I'm one step closer. :-)

Comment

FWIW, I did some investigating into the hardware and found a couple of issues. 1) The H0-CTRIO was driving two STP-DRV-4850 motor drivers, which is probably not a good thing. 2) The connections from the H0-CTRIO to the STP-DRV-4850 was set up a sinking voltage, but the H0-CTRIO was jumpered for sourcing. I fixed those issues and still can't drive the motor, but at least I'm two steps closer.

Comment

Are there outputs in your program that are working.
            "After all that, the program seems so simple."

Comment

Also in the DS5 take a look in the PLC drop menu at I/O configure Make shure your program matches how its configured.
              "After all that, the program seems so simple."

Comment

I did some further debug myself and then I was able to get on the phone with AD, work through some issues, and eventually got the motor turning. One problem was that some of the system grounds were floating relative to each other. A second problem was that the 4850 had either somehow forgotten its configuration or we never properly sent it its configuration in the first place. A third problem was in my PLC code itself. For some reason, changing a contact from High to Rising Edge properly started execution and I was able to get the motor turning.

Thanks to all who provided advice and questions. My next step is to turn the same motor/4850 combination using Mode 30 on the DL06.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X