Signet pH/flow probes and S3L

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signet pH/flow probes and S3L

Has anyone figured out how to talk to Signet S3L sensors over RS232? According to their manuals, it's a serial ASCII format, so I'd imagine a PLC would be able to communicate if it had the right strings to request data...

I have not tried to talk to anything from Signet.
    The Do-more has successfully talked to all the ASCII devices that I have tried so far.
    Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
    Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Yeah, I definitely wasn't concerned about any limitation of the Do-More, of course! Just interested in hearing from people out there.

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread but did you ever make any progress communicating with the Signet devices via S3L?

Comment

I hadn't had the time, but I'm planning on working on it tonight. I'll post my results.

Comment

Let me know how it goes.

I just noticed this product on the GFPS website, if we can't get these sensors talking directly to a PLC this may work.
            http://www.gfps.com/country_US/en_US...ocol/0486.html

Comment

...and I'm the worst. I worked so late I completely forgot about it. I'm going to start this now.

Comment

Okay, a few days late, but here's what I found:

The S3L protocol is TTL-level single-wire bus. The sensors are powered by 5VDC, and the data line is referenced to ground. It communicates at 9600 bps, with 7 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control.

I'm able to snoop on the traffic between a Signet display using an Arduino as a TTL converter. I've identified a few things about the data stream, and can reliably pull data from it into a Do-More simulator (even scaling to an analog output), but any attempt to talk back to the sensor fails. Additionally, the sensor doesn't send any data without a request from the display (which I don't seem able to replicate).

I'm too far in to stop now. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Sorry everyone. I got bogged down with a bunch of projects. I'll get back to working on this in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X