Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I make Productivity 3000 PAC talk to Allen Bradley 1734-AENT remote I/O modules?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I make Productivity 3000 PAC talk to Allen Bradley 1734-AENT remote I/O modules?

I found a video from automationdirect showing how to make a P3000 talk to an ADAM-6050 remote I/O, which seemed to be easy to use. However, in my current project, I have to use an AB 1734-AENT remote I/O. So, I am wondering if this will be the same as using an ADAM-6050?

Thank you for any suggestions.

My quick response is, yes.

You'll need to get the assembly instance/connection point and number of elements for the inputs and outputs, when creating generic Ethernet clients in the Productivity Suite software. Not sure if the Rockwell manual will provide this information since they assume everyone uses use a Logix platform, LOL.

Good luck.
    If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m016_-en-p.pdf

Comment

Thank you! I have to say AutomationDirect's forum support is unbelievable!

Comment

Sorry guys... I still haven't got this connection working.

Here are my Scanner configuration:
          T->O (INPUT) : 101 as the Assembly Instance
          O->T (OUTPUT) : 100 as the Assembly Instance
          CONFIG DATA : 102 as the Assembly Instance

I used Fixed Size Slot Alignment, so based on my calculation, the T->O size is 176 bytes, and O->T size is 25 bytes (including status header)

Well, when I sent "Enable" to 1 on the Scanner, I can see the TCP_Connected tag to be ON, and the Adapter_Name tag changed to "1734-AENTR/B Et", which seemed to be correct.

However, Connection_Online tag stays OFF, and General_Status tag says 3, Extended_Status says 255, and Status_Description says Error 0xFF.

Since the PDF says a connection will be made with or without a config header, I also tried NOT sending the config data, which gave me a different error: General_Status is 1, Extended_Status is 789, and Status_Description is Invalid segment.

I've tried many many combinations, and still got no luck so far.

Can anyone please give me more info to help me debug? Thanks a lot!

Comment

As I look through the documentation, it looks like Configuration Data is required so I think that you must include the Configuration data. What size did you send? What modules do you have? As best as I can tell from reading, you have the correct Assembly Instance values so it is either the wrong sizes for the Assembly Instances or the wrong config data. Are you using Wireshark as you are doing this? It could be immensely helpful.

Comment

How many slots? What type modules? It looks like your message sizes might be the problem, but not enough data here to determine that.

Comment

Well, there are totally 21 slots... plus the 1734 controller itself, the chassis size is 22. I set this number directly through 1734 web server, and the module status LED becomes green now... this was the good part.

21 modules are in the following orders:

1-6: IA4, IA4, IA4, IA4, IA4, IA4
                7-12: OA4, OA4, OA4, OA4, OA4, OA4
                13-18: IT2I, IT2I, IT2I, IT2I, IT2I, IT2I
                19-21: OB4, OB4, OB4

I went though the PDF again and again, including this one: http://literature.rockwellautomation...m018_-en-e.pdf

I now understand that I can't mix analog modules and discrete modules together by using default "rack optimized" configuration... each analog module needs its own separate CIP connection, which is also saying I need to send a config data file to each of this module.

Now my question is:

What are my INPUT/OUTPUT msg byte size? By following the document, my previous calculation was 176 for T->O, and 25 for O->T (including 4 bytes header). However, if analog module has its own connection, then I guess I don't need to count them on my calculation?

Some other parts are also confusing me... The O->T header, should I check that checkbox, or uncheck it, but write the bit values by my own? If I check this header checkbox, my msg size should subtract 4 from current calculated number, correct?

Comment

I made it!

I simplified everything, by using the minimal Config Data Header, which is 10 bytes, and Fixed Sized Alignment with 1 byte... Then the OUTPUT is 25 bytes, and INPUT is 29 bytes. It worked!

Status showed a solid SUCCESS. I am now working on how to initial a separate connection to read the analog module.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X