DL06 Serial/Ethernet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL06 Serial/Ethernet

I am currently trying to make an ethernet drop to a DL06 Controller and using DirectSoft 5 (v5.3).
    First and foremost, I have no available slots for an ECOM on the DL06, and a fellow engineer gave me a serial/ethernet converter.
    The converter is a B&B Electronics ESR901.
    I am able to connect to the ESR901 via ethernet (straight to it via crossover as well as via Wi-fi).
    I am able to connect to the DL06 from my PC, so its comms are verified.
    When I connect my D2-DSCBL from the ESR901's DB-9 port to Port 1 on the DL06, I am unable to connect. All three devices are DTE, and I am using default K-Sequence 9600, 8, Odd, 1, None serial parameters.
    I've mapped (in turn) virtual COM ports 254, 16, and 8 to the ESR, as well as enabling them in DS500.INI, however I am still not able to connect to the PLC from the DirectSoft Link Editor.
    I hope I'm missing something simple and one of you can help me.
    Thanks in advance.

Just like some USB converters have issues, ethernet virtual ports may have the same issue. That being said, I have used the Lantronix UDS2100 successfully.

http://www.lantronix.com/device-netw...s/uds2100.html
    Water and Wastewater Telemetry
    Consult.Develop.Solve.

Comment

Testing Serial Connections

I use this method to test Cellular Modems that have serial to IP converters built into them: http://www.putty.org/

connect laptop using RS232 Straight through cable to cellular serial port
      start putty on laptop
      connect com1 serial connection (make sure hand shacking is off)

start putty of remote computer
      select telnet use static ip of modem and port that you have configured such as 502

NO FLOW CONTROL

you should be able to send and retrieve data

IE: type a string of data --> hit enter --> data should echo onto 2nd line

Wire shark is also valuable for testing communications.

Cheers!

Lee

Comment

elbertakibler,

I am trying to connect to a DL06 using a Cradlepoint (Serial Redirector). I can connect to the remote port using a virtual com port without issue. Telnet and putty work just fine.

When I return to create a new link using DS5 the unit is not able to connect. I see the com lights on the DL and the serial to usb connected to the cellular modem illuminate with RX and TX traffic. I can monitor the com port and see that hex data is passed back and forth, but that is as far as I can get. Wireshark isn't of much help it shows the same.

It looks like the DL link editor is sending 4b2105 and the PLC is responding with a variety of the following:

Any direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Comment

Most likely is timeout related.
          Why are you not using the ECOM100?
          Consult.Develop.Solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike@Forshock View Post
            Why are you not using the ECOM100?
            The OP posted this:
            First and foremost, I have no available slots for an ECOM on the DL06, and a fellow engineer gave me a serial/ethernet converter.
            Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
            Jason Wolthuis

Comment

PLCNUT: This is not the OP question, different poster

Still think is timeout related, looking through Host Engineering most adjustments are only for ECOM. I have not programmed a unit over cellular or slower networks, but have had no issues with a Lantronix UDS serial server.
              Consult.Develop.Solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike@Forshock View Post
                PLCNUT: This is not the OP question, different poster
                Sorry Mike.
                I missed that
                Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
                Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Working...
                X