Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android app for Click PLC

Dear Folks at Automation Direct:
    this discussion has been posted before but in the many years, no outcome. So I thought I will post it again.
    The Click PLC is a great product and widely used. It would be really useful if you can develop a Android App for the Click PLC. With widespread acceptance of Android devices, AutomationDirect can gain a significant advantage in the PLC market with such an app.
    If you are Click PLC user and would like a Android app, please post a comment.

AutomationDirect, please consider an Android app for the Click PLC as soon as possible!

Thanks.

Hi, I'm not with AD but am interested in your idea. What functions would you see the app performing?

Comment

Even a simple Android app that can connect to an Android tablet, similar to CLICK PLC connecting via R232/USB to a Windows computer.
      The ability to run and stop programs from the Android app, ability to view/change the override viewer, data viewer, text viewer. Essentially a simple Android app for viewing, running the program on a CLICK PLC from an Android device.
      Thanks.

Comment

Very interesting concept!

While the functionality to write ladder programs and transfer them to/from the PLC would have to come from AD, I think anyone could develop an app to perform the Monitor function, viewing and changing data memory via Modbus commands.

As an example, the attached screenshot shows a web-based data monitor I'm working on for the Click. It lets you view any memory location and displays the corresponding nickname (looked up in the exported Address Picker file), and lets you change the contents of writeable memory locations.
        Attached Files

Comment

HI Albert,
          nice work. So if it is web based, how does the CLick PLC connect to the web? Ethernet/wireless IP?

Comment

The Click is connected to my LAN through a Modbus serial-to-Ethernet gateway. The web interface is a PC running an Apache server with PHP, and AJAX is used on the client side to read the selected memory addresses at timed intervals.

The major PHP code on the server consists of a class ("ClickPLC"), which provides a variety of functions for reading and writing PLC memory, formatting Modbus data for display, converting Click addresses to Modbus, etc. It can also read the .CSV nickname file exported by the Click programming software, so the nicknames corresponding to Click addresses can be displayed.

The PHP code calls the PhpModbus open-source library functions http://code.google.com/p/phpmodbus/ to do the actual Modbus reads and writes.

The Modbus serial-to-Ethernet gateway I'm using is the GridConnect NET485-MB, but I think AD's MB-GATEWAY (http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ays/MB-GATEWAY) works the same way. On the serial (Click) side, it's a Modbus master, and on the Ethernet side, it functions as a server. It receives Modbus commands on the Ethernet from the client (in this case, the PHP program), sends them out the serial side to the PLC (a Modbus slave), and passes the response from the PLC back to the client.

Comment

Wonderful Albert. You have certainly done a great job with this project. I am relatively new to PLC and just getting my feet wet !
              Would it be possible to connect a android tablet to Port 1 or 2 of the Click PLC and use your app to monitor the program execution? The android has a USB port and I have the cable to connect RS232 (on Click PLC) to a USB port converter, which I current use for connecting my laptop to communicate with the PLC.
              Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, sorry for the slow reply.

Unfortunately my software wouldn't run stand-alone on a tablet; it's designed for a client-server environment, with a server on the LAN with the PLC. Of course, you could use it through the web interface on the tablet's browser, just like any other computer.

The only other approach I can think of is to use something like TeamViewer or GoToMyPC to remotely access a PC that's directly connected to the Click and is running the regular Click programming software.

Comment

BTW, I tried my accessing my Click monitor web interface on a Kindle Fire (1st generation), and was surprised to find that it works perfectly on the device's Silk browser. The display looks really good, especially in full-screen mode, and the touch screen is completely functional. I expected there would be some glitches since I'm using multiple JavaScript features, but so far I haven't found any problems.

Comment

Here is an Android HMI application for Modbus TCP (Click). It is called Suppanel.
                    http://accautomation.ca/suppanel-and...-to-click-plc/
                    YouTube Video:
                    https://youtu.be/KB6m1HXsaVc

Nice interface and built in editor.
                    Regards,
                    Garry

Comment

Working...
                    X