Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modbus RTU to a robot DL05/06

Hello again.

So, for my next trick, I am trying to write a program to communicate that will tell a robot when a part is present over Ethernet (local switch). Im kinda at a loss. I can figure out the program for the PLC (I hope) but I dont understand how to write it to send to the robot. its very vague on the robots instructions. All it gives me is (other then how to address it through an IP address):
    Additional Information About the Modbus RTU

Please note the following when setting up signals:
    For ModBus digital (binary) signals, Baxter uses function code 2 (Read Discrete
    Inputs) for reads and function code 5 (Write Single Coil) for writes.
    The ModBus device must be configured in SLAVE mode. When using settings
    other than the default, you must set the input and output base addresses in the
    Baxter configuration panel if other than 0/0, and the inputs and outputs must be
    digital (discrete coils, not registers) and contiguous.

I'm assuming I must missing something on the robots end correct? I know I have to give the PLC an IP address so I think i use the ECIPSUP I-Box?

Ive found an example to write it on the PLC side on AD's site but not sure what to do to send info to the robot.

Its a Rethink Robotics "Baxter" robot. if that helps........

According to those noes your quoted, the Robot is going to be the Modbus master, so you should be able to set up the I/O addresses in the "Baxter configuration panel", establish communications and edit the ladder logic to operate on the bit addresses you want to utilize.

The big monkey wrench in your works is the mention of Modbus RTU and your talk of Ethernet. Modbus RTU is serial. Modbus TCP is Ethernet. I don't have enough DL06 experience to tell you off the top of my head how to configure a serial port for Modbus (if possible), but that is where I would start...figure out the electrical compatibility between the devices and then work on protocol and address details.

Comment

We have two baxters. I can get with our baxter guy. We did ModbusTCP and some MOXA device.
      We used a CLICK, but hopefully the comms/data should be similar.
      maybe we can provide some info. It would be next week, tho.

While I'm not convinced of their readiness for prime-time, I can see their potential and I applaud an organization that can allocate the resources to help (by purchase) 'rethink' in their research/development efforts.
      Last edited by kewakl; 09-08-2017, 10:54 PM.

Comment

The Baxter was interesting for its time but honestly it's very outdated now. We've looked at a lot of different collaborative models and the UR robots are a much better investment.

Comment

I've done 2 projects using UR5's, communicating Ethernet IP to P2K's. I created generic clients in the P2K for the I/O. My only complaint is UR's use of 8-bit unsigned. I had to give the UR an angle, taken from a Cognex camera, and had to break it down into two words so I give degrees, and decimal degrees.
          If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

Hey guys thanks.

So my sales rep sold me a device to send discrete signals via Ethernet to Baxter. Was told that is my best bet to get him to work. Its an ADAM 6025. Seems easy.... now to get Baxter to work for me.......

Comment

Working...
            X