View Sitelink Data Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OkiePC View Post
    Just an FYI about emails. For my HMI to send emails, In my Sitelink device I had to enable the firewall option for internet access LAN -> WAN. Without that enabled, the HMI could not ping the email server or succeed in sending them. With it enabled, my outgoing emails work.
    That is expected behavior. Without LAN > WAN access enabled, the only thing the VPN can access is the user endpoint (IE, Ixon client). The LAN > WAN access allows access to the "internet" rather than just the tunnel to the remote user.

]This should not be a problem for my end users, but it might be beneficial if the Sitelink allowed more specific access to be granted like only allowing SMTP protocol or certain ports to be opened up. I can't imagine someone opening the PLC panel and plugging in to watch Netflix from the little water plant I am putting this in, but somewhere someday somefool will think of it.
    Disable DHCP and set everything as static. Unless the user plugging in knows the the IP of the class C network, they would never "get on" the network.

The email issue that I'm having issues with is simply that it can't resolve a FQDN. That's an issue when your provider bounces around IP's.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_ View Post
      Disable DHCP and set everything as static. Unless the user plugging in knows the the IP of the class C network, they would never "get on" the network.

The email issue that I'm having issues with is simply that it can't resolve a FQDN. That's an issue when your provider bounces around IP's.
      Yes, I did disable DHCP, so yeah, they would have to be trying really hard and way more tech savvy that this particular operator for me to really be concerned about opening up LAN -> WAN Internet.

Do look into AuthSMTP for your email problem, it's a very small price to pay for a solution that just works.

Comment

Do look into AuthSMTP for your email problem, it's a very small price to pay for a solution that just works.
        That doesn't really solve the problem though. My C-More can send authenticated email, the problem is the Sitelink is blocking DNS requests, so you have to manually resolve the IP and use that. While mail server IP's generally don't change, it's certainly possible that my server or even AuthSMTP's server will eventually one day change. If we used "mail.authsmpt.com" as the server and they changed from 123.123.123.123 to 170.170.170.170, nothing would break since the C-More would just resolve a new IP when they change servers. Using a static IP breaks that. (I realize you probably know much of that, just clarifying for those reading that may not understand the reasons behind it)

Comment

My C-More can send authenticated email, the problem is the Sitelink is blocking DNS requests, so you have to manually resolve the IP and use that.
          Are you sure that it is the Sitelink that is blocking?
          I vaguely remember this being a problem with the C-more panels. You may try a search on this site for where it was discussed in the past.
          Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
          Jason Wolthuis

Comment

That doesn't really solve the problem though. My C-More can send authenticated email, the problem is the Sitelink is blocking DNS requests, so you have to manually resolve the IP and use that. While mail server IP's generally don't change, it's certainly possible that my server or even AuthSMTP's server will eventually one day change. If we used "mail.authsmpt.com" as the server and they changed from 123.123.123.123 to 170.170.170.170, nothing would break since the C-More would just resolve a new IP when they change servers. Using a static IP breaks that. (I realize you probably know much of that, just clarifying for those reading that may not understand the reasons behind it)
            Forget DNS, if you set up an account with AuthSMTP, and tell them you want a fixed mail server address, they will make it so. Then you put that IP address in the c-more along with your AuthSMTP account credentials, and your problems are solved.

Comment

Forget DNS, if you set up an account with AuthSMTP, and tell them you want a fixed mail server address, they will make it so. Then you put that IP address in the c-more along with your AuthSMTP account credentials, and your problems are solved.
              I understand that, but there is no guarantee that AuthSMTP will retain that IP forever. They may do a server change to a new cluster one day and that IP becomes null and void.

Comment

Originally posted by plcnut View Post
                Are you sure that it is the Sitelink that is blocking?
                I vaguely remember this being a problem with the C-more panels. You may try a search on this site for where it was discussed in the past.
                Positive. The exact same setup works fine when directly connected to a corporate network or behind a Ewon Cosy.

When I build a C-More panel interface, I have a "standard" layout / program that I use to base all new panels off of. There are specific tags in every PLC panel that I build that the C-More monitors (power supply status, fuse monitoring, diagnostics, etc) and has pre-set events to send an email and text. That "standard" program hasn't changed in 8 months, basically since the release of the EA9-T7CL-R. Email works fine when the email server is set to sub5.mail.dreamhost.com, if the panel is behind a Cosy or directly connected to the network. It doesn't work behind the Sitelink unless I change the server to 208.113.200.129. While that IP has stayed the same for a while, if they ever do change it (there are no guarantees in the world of static IP's), I'm going to have a ton of clients with panels that can no longer send mail.

Comment

What are you using for a DNS address? I have a C-more panel behind a Sitelink router sending email to "smtp.gmail.com" with no issues. I use a static DNS address of 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS address). Secondary address is 8.8.4.4.

Comment

Jackson, Are you getting your Cmore IP Address from a DHCP Server? If so, it works every time. If you have a static IP Address you must set the SMTP Server Address as a Static IP Address because DNS in the Cmore will not resolve the name. I had this issue using a Verizon Hot Spot before I ever purchased the SiteLink Router. It is the Cmore Panel that is the problem. Again, DHCP works fine. However you can not connect via a VPN to a DHCP Address.

Comment

No everything is static on the LAN side. C-more has static IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway AND DNS addresses. Using Google public DNS addresses. I NEVER use DHCP with C-more. I don't want a changing IP.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't answer your question very well. I do not use a static IP for the email server. I use smtp.gmail.com. But I am not using DHCP for my C-more network settings. Done this for a long time with C-more and more recently with Sitelink.

Comment

Jackson, Now I am curious about your internet connection. How is your C-More network connected? Corporate Network? Personal account? I do not have the luxury of having a direct connection to the internet. At first I had to connect via a Verizon Hotspot through Internet Connection Sharing on my Windows 7 PC. With this connection via DHCP the C-More will resolve the FQDN of any email server that I have used. Then switching the IP Addresses to Static in both the host and DNS server settings it will not resolve the email server names.
                          Once I purchased the SiteLink Router the same held true. If I received the DHCP addresses, both Host and DNS, from the SiteLink Router email worked with a FQDN of the email server. Once I switched to a Static IP Address and using Google's DNS server address of 8.8.8.8 it will not resolve the FQDN when directly connected to the SiteLink Router. I tested all of this with my new spare C-More Panel and got the same results.
                          I would like to know your secret. Because, like Brandon has stated, the email servers can have their IP Addresses changed in the future without our knowledge. What version of firmware are your panels running? Mine are the latest ver 6.40.

Comment

A few different setups but the topology is the same: Sitelink WAN port connected to an Internet facing router. The Sitelink WAN port is getting its network settings via DHCP from the Internet router but as I said before, I plug in the Google DNS servers for my address (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I am running 6.40 firmware on my panels.

Comment

I am not having any problems uploading and downloading to a Micrologix 1400 and Red Lion G15 using the VPN. It took 51 seconds to upload all programs and data from the ML1400. It took 20 seconds to extract the image from the G15 using Crimson 3.0. I just did this from a hotel room in Denver reaching across the web to our office in Oklahoma.

My work phone will no longer connect at all to the HMI webpage. My personal (Verizon) phone works flawlessly even with a poor cell signal. Both phones are Samsung Galaxy S7, the work phone is the "Active" ruggedized variant with AT&T as the provider.
                              They have fixed my problem with my AT&T (work) phone accessing the HMI web server. 'They' being tech support. I do believe the problem was related to the carrier being AT&T. Kudos to A/D tech support. It took them a while to fix it, but they didn't give up and did notify me when it was done.

Comment

Bumping this back up to the top, a year later.

Is there any way yet to see how much of the 5gb data we're using? I've gone through every tab of the management portal and can't find anything to see how much data we've used?

Comment

Working...
                                X