Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OkiePC
    replied
    I have found that most industrial devices cannot send authenticated emails and very few email services will work without authentication. We use AuthSMTP to get around the problem. I think I pay them about 50 bucks a year to send 2000 messages per month. I have several customers using AuthSMTP on that one account. I did have to get AuthSMTP to keep my account on a fixed IP at their end which cost nothing extra except an email to their tech support. They replied with the IP address I should use in my hardware where you would normally specify a mail server by name. Also you can't use a gmail address as the authorized sender in the AuthSMTP setup, but we have a domain (through google/gmail no less) so we just added a generically named user to our domain to get around that issue. Check out AuthSMTP.com

I have not had problems accessing the Red Lion HMI web page from a PC or phone but from my work phone (Android Samsung S7 on AT&T) I have to have solid cell signal for the page to load. My personal phone (Android Samsung S7 on Verizon) getting to the HMI is quick and error free even with one bar. I have three other VPN services installed on my work phone along with a handful of other apps including security and ad blockers that might be causing a conflict.

The EWON we have at one customer was almost as easy to set up but it is not as responsive when using the web based VPN. I find that entering a setpoint on their Red Lion Graphite HMI takes about 3 seconds per button press. Some of that lag might be due to the customer's ISP which is a wireless radio mounted on a pump building about 3 miles from civilization on a dirt road.

I do think that the Sitelink Android app needs some spit and polish. Sometimes I click on the HMI link and nothing happens. Sometimes I click on the Device and a page slides into view from the right then disappears. Click it again and the list of "services" slides up from the bottom. The PC based VPN client seems to be more well refined, although I have only spent a couple of hours in total using it, I have pretty high expectations. The proof will come when I stick this thing in a water plant 200 miles from the office and the operator calls me to get online and help him through an issue or make a program edit or something.

I'm hopeful that A/D will spend the effort to make improvements and bug fixes like they have with most all their other recent new products.

Leave a comment:

• tpeery
    replied
    My recent experience has been less favorable. My bad experience starts with email from the Cmore EA9-T7CL. Email will work fine if all IP addresses are set to DHCP. However you cannot access your device over the VPN router using DHCP. You must have a static IP address for VPN access. Then the DNS settings will not allow the Cmore to find a DNS server so that you can use an email address. I had to set the email server address to the static IP Address of the server name. In other words smtp.gmail.com will not work because the DNS will not resolve the name. The only way it worked for me was to use the Static IP Address of the email server. This was true when using a wireless hotspot and the Stride Sitelink Router.

Now the Router, most of the problem there is AT&T / Cisco Jasper, but they are making changes as I type. Unlike OkiePC my Sitelink Router is a 4G cellular unit. My problem started with the SIM card not being activated when I received it. The only Customer support that you will find for the IoTs product is at this email address AT&T Marketplace Customer Service <starterkit-support@iotservices.att-mail.com>. They have been helpful but not always quick to respond. Once my SIM was activated I purchased a 1gb /month plan, however they automatically signed me up for a 50mb per month which is not enough.
    Apparently the Router alone uses a minimum of 120mb/month just to be connected to the cellular network. This I had to prove by disconnecting my Click PLC and Cmore Panels for the device and letting the router run for a week during which time it generated 200 mb of data usage. This is too expensive to operate this way.

You do have to allow Internet Access in the Sitelink configuration web site to be able to send email through the device. Be warned this opens up a full Internet connection. I found this out the hard way. Remember my previous discussion about DHCP and Email. I had configured the SiteLink Router to hand out only 4 DHCP addresses while attempting to get the Cmore email to work using DHCP. When it did not work I failed to shut down the DHCP server in the SiteLink router. A week later I was performing Windows 7 updates on two computers that had not been used in a while. When I turned them on they picked up IP addresses from the router and connected to Microsoft's Servers through the router. 1.8GB later and over $400 in data usage I found out that Internet Access in the Sitelink is exactly that. I was under the impression that the router was restricted to only certain protocols making it safe. It is completely open. I did not know that this had occurred until I checked my email and found multiple charges from AT&T for data overage.

Of course all of this will be avoided if you have internet access available to use the non cellular router, but if you are like me and need a cellular connection be prepared for a battle. I have only had this system operating for one month and today the Router is completely powered down to avoid any more charges.

With the cellular product and AT&Ts SIM Control Center account management platform you can see everything going on with your SIM cards relating to data usage. I have not investigated the data usage at the Stride Sitelink page as yet.

Leave a comment:

• OkiePC
    started a topic View Sitelink Data Usage

View Sitelink Data Usage

I just set up a Sitelink Wifi version. I am very impressed. It was easier than the EWON or Tosibox and seems to have features that combine the best of both of those major competitors. It took me a bit to get the HMI webpage to be viewable from the Android app, but once the service and default landing path were properly entered, all is working well. The only thing I have not tested is outgoing emails from the HMI but I think if I just enable internet access from the LAN under the firewall options it will work as long as the ISP doesn't block them. I will move the unit to the customer site in a few weeks and try it before changing that option, but I am off my intended subject.

The thing I have not yet found that I am sure is there somewhere is usage statistics. Where can I see how much of my free 5gb has been used?
Working...
X