Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Comms isssue btween BRX and Rockwell

Hi All:

I have a BRX (Model BX-DM1E-10ED23E) and have been experimenting with Ethernet IP communications between it and some Rockwell Logix PLCs.

I was able to configure explicit messages between the BRX and a CompactLogix (L16ER) without problems.

I was doing the same with a ControlLogix L71 CPU via a 1756-ENBT (FRN 6.006) and the explicit message would error out (the error was defined as "Unconnected message timeout" on the Rockwell end).

Tried the same ControlLogix, but went through a 1756-EN2TR (FRN10.010) instead of the ENBT, and it worked fine.

I was doing both implicit and explicit messaging to a Productivity 1000 just fine through the ENBT.

Is there a known issue with the BRX to ControlLogix via the 1756-ENBT?

Also, is there a downloadable EDS file for the Productivity 1000 CPU?

Thanks!
    -Jim

Originally posted by ADC_Newbie View Post
    Is there a known issue with the BRX to ControlLogix via the 1756-ENBT?
    No known issues. Which end is the master?

Comment

The BRX can only be an Ethernet IP Explicit message server (slave, to my understanding). All explicit read and write messages are being initiated in the ControlLogix CPU. I presume that makes the Logix CPU the master, correct?

Comment

The BRX can only be an Ethernet IP Explicit message server (slave, to my understanding). All explicit read and write messages are being initiated in the ControlLogix CPU. I presume that makes the Logix CPU the master, correct?
        BRX can be either (see EIPMSG instruction for master), but yes, the guy that initiates is the master.

Comment

For the internal EIP server, the structure $IntEIPServer contains some status. Of particular interest is the .LastError field that might give some insight into the error.

Comment

LastError = 5. Not sure what that means, however

Comment

the Do-more Designer help topic DMD0247 has a chart at the bottom with the error codes and their meanings

Comment

LastError = 5. Not sure what that means, however
                Those are standard CIP error codes...5 == Path Unknown. It's returned for lots of things, but always when an Class/Instance/Attribute/Field/etc is wrong. In this case, the device may be making a valid request in a way that is different than we are expecting. This would be the first bug I can recall being reported since EIP support was introduced, but bugs definitely happen. If you were able to capture a Wireshark trace of the request, I could dig into it and see what the issue is.

Comment

I am highly suspicious of the Rockwell 1756-ENBT module in this case. I won't be able to get back to this project for some time, but the BRX works just fine with the 1756-EN2TR and the 1769-L16ER Compact Logix unit. I'll update if / when I have additional info. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X