Stuck Again Terminator Base, Ethernet I/O to GS4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Again Terminator Base, Ethernet I/O to GS4

Could use some help on this, I have checked and rechecked my setup in the drive and still unable to see the GS4 IP when scanning the network for devices. I manually set the configuration and loaded it, (it remains in a fault state) but this is what I am trying to achieve (I think).

Drive Parameters set according to Appendix B Optional I/O and Com. Cards

P4.00 = 4
    P3.00 = 5
    P9.48 = 0
    P9.49 = 10
    P9.50 = 10
    P9.51 = 10
    P9.52 = 20
    P9.53 = 255
    P9.54 = 255
    P9.55 = 0
    P9.56 = 0
    P9.57 = 10 And 0
    P9.58 = 10 And 0
    P9.59 = 10 And 0
    P9.60 = 1 And 0

P9.64 = 2

Attached Files
    Last edited by Gerry G; 03-22-2018, 01:05 PM.
    "After all that, the program seems so simple."

When you say Ethernet I/O, do you mean Do-more's Ethernet I/O, and hence using a GSEDRV100 with the new firmware that just came out Monday (6.0.2) that uses Modbus/RTU out the back-end to talk to the GS4? Or are you using EtherNet/IP, which is different than Ethernet I/O.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

I guess that I am unsure, first time setting up drive control using Ethernet, I never messed around with the other Ethernet converter used with the other GS drives (GS-EDRV100).

So my setup is a GS4 drive with the Ethernet IP option card, connected to the same Ethernet switch that my screens, plc, remote I/O and computer for programing is.

It looks as it would link up through the Ethernet I/O master setup, same as my remote I/O does, is that not correct.

Comment

So you have a T1H-DM1E?
        There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Yes you are Correct

Comment

I believe that the GS4 EtherNet/IP card is IMPLICIT EtherNet/IP only. Do-more only does EXPLICIT EtherNet/IP.

If that is true, then in order to get Do-more to work like GS1/GS2/GS3 via Ethernet I/O, you just need a GSEDRV100 module, but no EtherNet/IP GS4 card.

You will also need Do-more Designer 2.2 with updated firmware for your T1H to Do-more Technology version 2.2, along with updating your GSEDRV100 firmware to 6.0 or later. All of that comes free with the latest Do-more Designer 2.2 software.

Comment

Do you know what this Ethernet I/P option card is supposed to communicate with if it is not the Do-More line? It's a little confusing why there would be this option if we still need to use the older GSEDRV100 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry G View Post
                Do you know what this Ethernet I/P option card is supposed to communicate with if it is not the Do-More line? It's a little confusing why there would be this option if we still need to use the older GSEDRV100 yet.
                EtherNet/IP is a very popular protocol developed by Allen Bradley/Rockwell. There are various flavors, one of which is "implicit" comm, another is "explicit". Not all EtherNet/IP devices support both. AD's Productivity line of PLCs support mastering both "implicit" and "explicit" EtherNet/IP devices (like a GS4 w/this special comm card, which only supports "implicit").

Do-more talks to a bunch of "explicit" EtherNet/IP devices. Supporting "implicit" EtherNet/IP is definitely on our "todo" list.

For now, Do-more works best with GS1/GS2/GS3/GS4 drives using the GSEDRV100 module via "Ethernet I/O" built-in to all Ethernet Do-more PLCs, and it does NOT require a comm card for your GS4.

Comment

In the Video Browser in Do-more Designer, there are a few videos about GS Drives and Do-more. They are a little dated in that GS4 is not mentioned because it just released this past October, but Do-more came out in 2012. However, the general interface to a GS4 is similar to GS1/GS2/GS3 in those videos. The current GS4 videos do NOT show this because Designer 2.1 was the most recent version, but it did NOT support GS4 via the Ethernet I/O driver. Designer 2.2, which just came out this week, DOES support GS4 like it does the GS1/GS2/GS3 in those videos (via Ethernet I/O).

I checked the GS_Drive keyword and it shows the various videos that can help. You will want to look at the Ethernet I/O GS Drives Intro and Advanced. Also look at the GSREGRD/GSREGWR. The two "Connect to GS4" videos are for Designer 2.1 and earlier, but not for Designer 2.2.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GS_Drive1.png Views:	1 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	112124
                  Last edited by franji1; 03-22-2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

In short there is no way for me to make the set up work?

Comment

In short there is no way for me to make the set up work?
                      You could do it with just Modbus/RTU and the serial port on your T1H-DM1E connected to the Modbus/RTU port on the GS4 drive. But you have to do all the various MRX/MWX instruction work by hand, reading and writing the various Px.x parameters in your GS4 drive, but using their Modbus addressing instead. There will be no GS Drive structure, no GSREGRD/GSREGWR support. Raw Modbus only. It's do-able.

Comment

This is unfortunate it is kind of the only reason I went with the GS4 drives, for this application the GS2's would have worked just fine. As far as the Modbus / MWX I have used it on a number of projects and I am not a real big fan, it seems to work best for applications where the commands are set and left for a period of time, but when I have used it for more dynamic applications where drives are speed following a target that is constantly moving it's clunky.

Anyway I figured I would run into issues setting this up, and gave my self enough extra I/O, and analogs to control the drives.

Thanks for the feedback on this. On to the next hurtle.

Comment

The best alternative is to return the EtherNet/IP card and get a GSEDRV100 module.

Comment

Working...
                          X