Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EA-MG-PGM-CBL USB cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • EA-MG-PGM-CBL USB cable

    Is there a way to make my own EA-MG-PGM-CBL USB cable? This is for programming an EA3 Micro HMI screen to a computer. This part has a chip in it. Is that absolutely necessary to program the HMI?

    link to part:
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../EA-MG-PGM-CBL


  • #2
    There has to be a USB to RS-232 conversion somewhere as well as the correct pinout to the RJ12 connector, including 5v supply.
    This conversion hardware must be also compatible with programming software USB drivers or one would have to be created.
    Would be difficult to make for less than $43 I would think.

    Comment



    • #3
      This is the best USB to RS-232 converter I have found:

      https://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs23...l-plctalk-net/

      It has a nice long cable, LEDs on the converter, and works with everything I have tried. I just plug in whatever standard serial adapter I need on the end when necessary and don't carry around a bunch of other USB to serial adapters, rather a huge box of cheaper plain serial adapters for all the different devices we run into.

      In your case you would then need this one too:
      https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ables/D2-DSCBL

      And it will handle many other PLCs including Click and DL series with RJ12 ports.
      Last edited by OkiePC; 07-26-2018, 11:05 AM.

      Comment



      • #4
        The cable in question also provides operating power to the display while it is being programmed. The display, while in normal operation, draws it's operating power from the plc through it's connecting cable.
        thePLCguy

        Bernie

        Comment



        • #5
          Paul, do you know if this converter(driver) allows inversion of RX/TX, etc... signals like FTDI MPROG/FT_PROG allows for FTDI devices?
          The Plccable site gives almost NO information. And specifically, no chipset info.
          If you don't know, I could ask Mark at the other forum.

          I used gray to try to hide from this forum's moderators.

          Comment



          • #6
            Originally posted by kewakl View Post
            Paul, do you know if this converter(driver) allows inversion of RX/TX, etc... signals like FTDI MPROG/FT_PROG allows for FTDI devices?
            The Plccable site gives almost NO information. And specifically, no chipset info.
            If you don't know, I could ask Mark at the other forum.

            I used gray to try to hide from this forum's moderators.
            It's an FTDI chipset, does not have null modem swapping built in that I am aware of, so that is why I keep a bag of these around:

            https://www.alliedelec.com/search/pr...?SKU=70641886#

            Bernie, I didn't know about the cable in question supplying power...that is critical info, thanks!

            Comment



            • #7
              Originally posted by OkiePC View Post

              It's an FTDI chipset, does not have null modem swapping built in that I am aware of, so that is why I keep a bag of these around:

              https://www.alliedelec.com/search/pr...?SKU=70641886#

              Bernie, I didn't know about the cable in question supplying power...that is critical info, thanks!
              Sorry, Paul, I meant signal polarity inversion. I have had some devices that idle at a different state, polarity inversion helps in these cases. see attachment

              Since it is FTDI, I would guess that it would support MPROG/FT_PROG. So I may just buy one and try it. Thanks
              Attached Files

              Comment



              • #8
                Originally posted by OkiePC View Post
                This is the best USB to RS-232 converter I have found:
                Thanks Paul, but we have started making a EA-MG-PGM-CBL , see the link below and Bernie is correct as this one also has the 5v for the HMI's

                https://www.plccable.com/automation-...o-more-c-more/

                Originally posted by kewakl
                The Plccable site gives almost NO information. And specifically, no chipset info.
                We use a CH340/341 in this cable... we use different chip sets for different cables but this one seems to work the best for AD's PLC's


                Comment



                • #9
                  Hi, Mark.
                  Thanks for the info.

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MarkM View Post

                    Thanks Paul, but we have started making a EA-MG-PGM-CBL , see the link below and Bernie is correct as this one also has the 5v for the HMI's

                    https://www.plccable.com/automation-...o-more-c-more/



                    We use a CH340/341 in this cable... we use different chip sets for different cables but this one seems to work the best for AD's PLC's

                    Wow. And you used their exact same part number. That's dirty.

                    IMO, just buy the cable from AD. It's solid quality. More importantly IMO, the RJ12 cable is replaceable if you're not handy with a crimper, for when the "tab" breaks off. Because if you throw it in a toolbag and send it to checked luggage on the plane, it will break off. Not to mention, if you have a problem, the first thing AD tech support is going to do is point the finger at the 3rd party cable.

                    If you're desperate for a cheap cable, there is one on Amazon for half the cost of AD and less than the other rip off cable.

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Not sure how thats dirty.... but if you can think of a better part number I would love to hear it

                      The only reason I came here and commented on this was because my product was linked, I thought I would try and provide the information that was talked about, that said there is nothing wrong with a open free market and it only makes us all better, if Ford was the only one that made cars or Napa was the only one that sold parts we would be loosing out on better and better products.

                      I never said AD's cable was not a good product, I tried to make their product better, I have been buying from AD for close 15 years now and will continue to do so... they have great products, fast shipping and very good pricing, if your worried about my website affecting the bottom line of AD.... dont, the 5 cables I will sell this year will not hurt them in anyway.

                      I also hope your not part of the welcoming committee....

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kewakl View Post
                        Hi, Mark.
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Hello and your welcome!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X