PAC2000 + Powerflex 753

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAC2000 + Powerflex 753

Does anyone have experience connection a PAC to an Allen Bradley drive controller via Ethernet/IP? There's documentation in the PAC manual for connecting to an Ethernet/IP device but not much on what happens afterward. We want to be able to issue start/stop commands, etc. as well as read values from the drive but even if I can get it connected I'm not quite sure what I am looking for. I'm sure data wont come over in tag names. Hoping to find someone with a little more hands on experience. Thanks.

I have never used a PAC. With the Powerflex 753 you would have to use Modbus communications. To use Ethernet IP you will have to get a Powerflex 755. So basically you would need to setup communications using Modbus read and write instructions. Look in the manual there is a communications sections and you will find modbus addresses for the data to read or write to. I have used a Dl250 to communicate to 4 power flex 40 using modbus. Ethernet IP would be easier but it not that hard with RS485 either.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the drive is said to have an ethernet add on card attached to it. I dont know if this makes a difference or not, but others in the company seem to think Ethernet/IP is the answer. Ill look into Modbus, though.

Comment

Unfortunately neither manual, for the drive or the communications module, have any indication that they are capable of utilizing Modbus. It may be one of these trial-and-error situations where we just hook the two up and fiddle around with them until we can determine if we can get it working or not.

Comment

If your AB PowerFlex 753 does support EtherNet/IP you can get an .EDS file from their site and then import this into the Productivity Suite software in the hardware configuration -> EtherNet/IP
          If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

For the AB drive you would have to look in the COM module manual for information. It will also have info you need for Enet IP setup and data, size, type and information. For instance it would have data in a status word that may be 32 bits. This information would be read via Enet IP into a tag created by you in the P2000 then you would need to extract the data from that tag in the P2000 into usable data. So each bit, byte or word may have a meaning in the 32 bit word. What this data is and where in that 32 bits would be in the AB documentation.

Comment

Have you watched the YouTube video put out by automation direct on explicit unconnected messaging? It is a very well put together instruction on how to use class and attribute to send commands to drives. I generally prefer implicit messaging but I don't know if the drive has that capability

https://youtu.be/JsoXp_daDIs
              https://youtu.be/LjH0pPasLtg
              Last edited by z28z34man; 09-12-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Which communication module is installed? There are a few available.

Comment

Its the 20-750-ENETR

Comment

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m008_-en-p.pdf

says ethernet/ip

Comment

see appendix C for explicit messaging.

Comment

I was successful in reading data from the drive, even data from the extra IO cards, but AB tech support says there is no parameter command to initiate a start/stop using the method I am currently using (Using Host DPI Parameter objects, as listed in the Ethernet/IP objects of the ENETR manual). They recommend using Register objects to write back a Logic Command word, which I will try to test this week. I was able to read the Logic Status word, but didn't have time to test writing to the Command word.

Comment

I had 3 753s using EIP with a P2000...works great! I attached some screenshots
                          hope it helps
                          Attached Files

Comment

2 more attachments
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X