Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions: 1) static IP 2) VPN

Hello,

I am quoting a panel that needs remote access (customer wants to turn on and off pumps and look at flows via a web like page), have the panel send a daily e-mail with flow totals and send e-mails if there is a problem.

I have done local panels up till now but nothing with remote (especially cellular) access.

I have put up a couple of posts and think I am "close" .... just a few more questions that have come up.

I am going to use a BRX PLC to control the pumps, read the 4-20 mA signals from the flow meters, do the totalizing and send out the e-mails. I will use a C-more touch panel to do the remote access to turn on and off the pumps.

Sooooo now my questions:

My client uses Verizon wireless (no other internet access). This means I can't use the Stridelinx VPN router. I have found several third party modems. I can get a SIM card from Verizon for free if I sign up for a data only plan.

1) do I need a fixed IP address? I have never used one but it was mentioned to me that I might because this panel is hosting ??? Something about the web must know where to access ?????? I tried to read up but could not find anything on this. It makes a big difference since I then need a business account with Verizon (only way to get a static IP) and there is a one time fee of $500 for the static IP.

2) since I can't use the Stridlinx, I was going to put a Router between the my two units (the plc and cmore) and the modem. If found a Linksys LRT 214. I picked this because it says "Open VPN Server Support". If I use this router (or one like it), what else do I need to get a VPN connection? Do I need to purchase a service or software or both ????? I tried to read up on VPN's. I understand what they are but am not sure what I need to set it up.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks so much again ..... Mike

See if the modems can use a 'dynamic dns' service. (Some are free or minimal cost) You establish a user account with a unique name at the service. As the modem powers up and receives an IP it then connects to the dynamic dns server and reports its current IP. The service provides a translation from your link name to the current IP it has for the modem. So you can deal with varying IPs. But you would still have security issues to deal with.
    thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

I am using dynamic multi point VPN solution from cisco. Routers like C871 or C881 are not too expensive and at the end i have absolutely independent (from dynamic DNS and other "VPN" and DNS providers) secure network.

Comment

Working...
      X