• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture barcode over ethernet

Iím working with:
    P3-550
    Keyence SR-751
    Very limited PLC programing experience.

Is it possible to trigger the barcode scanner and capture ASCII string all over ethernet? What communication protocol would I want use? Anyone up for providing an example?

All examples I have found only show using BCS over a serial connection.

Any and all guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

>SR-751

just received two of these today for installation later this week. The manual, starting at 8-1 (pg 71 of the pdf) shows some examples of formatting, and has this tidbit :

There are 2 types of commands used with the SR-750 Series:
    These commands and responses are common to RS-232C communication and
    Ethernet communication. The ASCII codes are used for the transmission and
    reception.

I usually use RS-232 with these b/c AD PLCs aren't POE compatible.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look over the manual again.
      I should have mentioned that I have 2) SR-751 that are routed through a switch with POE.
      Last edited by gollywomp; 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

What type of switch are you using?

check your switch settings... can you turn off the power to individual switches? If so, you should be able to connect that port to an AD PLC.

Comment

The switch is Trendnet TPE-S44. I have the PAC connected to a Non powered port.

After reading more from the Keyence manual, it looks like i should be using RX and WX commands from the PAC to control BCS. Is this correct?
          Last edited by gollywomp; 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

there again, I haven't used the PAC or it's software package to know much about it....

if you were using a Do-More, however......

Comment

The scanner specifications do not show any Ethernet protocols compatible with the P3000
              thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Thanks Scott for attempting!

Bcarlton thank you!
                Last edited by gollywomp; 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

RX & WX instructions are only for PAC to PAC communications. Can your device communicate Modbus? A quick look at the manual, and I am thinking no. The PAC can send ASCII string data via Modbus only.

You would most likely need a ASCII to Modbus Ethernet or Serial gateway, did a Google search and came up with the below;

http://www.rtaautomation.com/products/460/msa.html
                  If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by scott.lawrence View Post
                    there again, I haven't used the PAC or it's software package to know much about it....

if you were using a Do-More, however......
                    I am using do more and very new to using Ethernet, new as this is first try haha, i am able to use the EIPMSG to my SR-752 to make it trigger

Class: 0x69
                    Instance: 0x1
                    Attribute:
                    Service: 0x4D

This works and looking at the auto ID software terminal screen it shows data that is read, the part i can not figure out is how to retrieve that string into the PLC (using BRX Internal Ethernet port with device created for for SR-752 set to EtherNet/IP Explicit messaging)

Help!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas.Allen View Post

I am using do more and very new to using Ethernet, new as this is first try haha, i am able to use the EIPMSG to my SR-752 to make it trigger

Class: 0x69
                      Instance: 0x1
                      Attribute:
                      Service: 0x4D

This works and looking at the auto ID software terminal screen it shows data that is read, the part i can not figure out is how to retrieve that string into the PLC (using BRX Internal Ethernet port with device created for for SR-752 set to EtherNet/IP Explicit messaging)

Help!!!!!!!
                      Host is the manufacturer of Do-more, so you could also post your query HERE.
                      If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                      X