Productivity 3000 to Solo Temperature Controller Communications via RS 485

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Productivity 3000 to Solo Temperature Controller Communications via RS 485

I am trying to setup communication between my Productivity 3000 PLC and 4 solo temperature controllers. I have succeeded in getting the set-point and process value to R/W for all 4 unit. I am having difficulty getting the controllers on/off bit's to write correctly. I want to be able to turn the heaters On / Off by turning the control of the heater off. I am using RS-485 obviously with Modbus RTU protocol. See picture below for my instruction I have setup writing to the register that is specified in the Solo Controllers user manual.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	modbus-write-temperatures.png
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	118267

The solo temperature controller page of the manual is also picture below which calls for bit register 2069 to be written to for on/off control. This instruction does not error so it seems that it is writing to something but not the correct location.

The manual also says write FF00H to set the coil and 0000H to reset the coil. How do i do that it will only allow me to assign a boolean variable.

To control the Modbus address 2069 you should use modbus function 5 "write coil" and set up a boolean tag that you turn off and on in the plc logic. You are writing to address 402069.

Click image for larger version  Name:	solo.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	118269

Comment

I have tried this as well and it does not work either. What does the following statement from the user manual pertain to?

The manual also says write FF00H to set the coil and 0000H to reset the coil. How do i do that it will only allow me to assign a boolean variable.

Comment

Originally posted by ndelaney View Post
        I have tried this as well and it does not work either. What does the following statement from the user manual pertain to?

I do it exactly as shown above and it works. I can toggle the bit used in the table( via logic or dataview) and the Solo is in run when the value is "1" and stop when it is "0". I do not know what the Hex value means because I do not have to use a hex value. Create a one rung project and copy exactly as shown above except use your node address for the solo. If it does not work there check your com port settings.

Also read page 3-17 of eh manual. Are you using Event 1 input? Are you doing Ramp/Soak control? No info on which Solo you are using? I am using 9696 pid no ramp/soak.

Comment

OK you are correct this was working I just did not wait long enough for the Solo's to react. I am using the 0-10v signal solo with no ramp/ soak program. The only remaining issue I have is the lag in the communication. Is there a way to improve the 5 second delay to the HMI readout for temperatures? It seems that this should be able to be improved upoin. Do these 485 networks need terminated like profibus? I do not have any terminating resistor in play ATM.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485

Comment

Working...
            X