Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP WITH RJ12 COMMUNICATIONS b/t EA3-T6CL and C0-01DR-D.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP WITH RJ12 COMMUNICATIONS b/t EA3-T6CL and C0-01DR-D.

I am trying to get the communications working between these two modules using the RJ12 ports. On the the PLC I am using Port 1 Tx1/Rx1. On the touch screen, I am using the RJ12 Port 1 RxD/TxD. Is this possible and what is the pinout for this to work. I am using 3 pairs of a Cat5e, and just snipping the last unused pair. The only way we were able to get this to work previously was using the serial R2232 port on the touch screen going into the same port on the PLC. I just put a female RJ12 on the other end of my cat5e cable that I made and it plugged into the Serial plug. I'd rather just have one cable, that plugs into the same interface on both ends. It would be easier. Again, I am using Cat5e, and just not using the brown pair. I am using w/orange, orange, w/green, blue, w/blue, green. on both ends. I didn't flip, it's basically a straight through cable without using the brown pair. I just need help. lol

It needs to be wired like the top diagram on page 6-27 of the user manual: https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta...guserm/ch6.pdf
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Is there some reason you cannot use the other 15-pin DSub port on thew CMore Micro panel?

Are the panel and PLC within 2 meters of each other? If so you can use this to bring it down to the single cable:
      https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...les/dv-1000cbl

The only thing I can say for making a custom cable would be to make sure you terminated the ends right and they are making the proper contact. As well as look at the pinout documentation for the serial port on both the Click PLC and the CMore micro to make sure the pins are correct.

Comment

The length of the run is about 20 Ft. I have made 3 cables, 1 worked for a little while, the rest haven't worked at all.

Comment

Our touch panel has it's own power supply, we are just sending commands, no power.

Comment

I would just buy one of these cables in 25' length and cut the ends off and then crimp it with RJ12s with the proper pinout:
            https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31019
            https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5898

That way you keep it to 1 cable for the whole length and eliminate the connections in between as possible problem areas. It also gives you a few feet extra to work with for re-crimping if the first time doesnt work. Get the slimrun cable if your RJ12s can take 36AWG wires, or the normal cable if they need bigger wires. Both are shielded so will help keep out interference in the cable. The 36awg wires will have less capacitance than the 26awg ones so may work better, if your connectors support their use.

Click pinout:
            1 - white/orange
            2 - orange
            3 - white/green
            4 - blue
            5 - white/blue
            6 - green

CMore pinout:
            1 - green
            2 - white/blue
            3 - blue
            4 - white/green
            5 - orange
            6 - white/orange

white/brown and brown not used

Also some good info taken from another website:
            Cable length is one of the most discussed items in RS232 world. The standard has a clear answer, the maximum cable length is 50 feet, or the cable length equal to a capacitance of 2500 pF. The latter rule is often forgotten. This means that using a cable with low capacitance allows you to span longer distances without going beyond the limitations of the standard. If for example UTP CAT-5 cable is used with a typical capacitance of 17 pF/ft, the maximum allowed cable length is 147 feet.

The cable length mentioned in the standard allows maximum communication speed to occur. If speed is reduced by a factor 2 or 4, the maximum length increases dramatically. Texas Instruments has done some practical experiments years ago at different baud rates to test the maximum allowed cable lengths. Keep in mind, that the RS232 standard was originally developed for 20 kbps. By halving the maximum communication speed, the allowed cable length increases a factor ten!
            If you use the 36AWG cable I linked above then capacitance will be very low, much lower than typical cat-5 cable of 17pF per foot. Im not a big expert on modbus communication or how the electrical signals affect the communication capability of modbus, but the 36AWG cable in your 25 ft long cable would have a resistance of 10ohms. The 26AWG cable would have a resistance of 1ohm. Since modbus on RS-232 has issues with signal reflections and we have to add termination resistors to make the signal work, my *guess* would be that the additional resistance of the 36AWG cable may also actually help the signal work well rather than be a hindrance like you would normally get in other things from such high resistance.
            Last edited by MikeN; 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

20 feet for RS-232 in an industrial environment is pushing it depending on grounding and ambient RF noise. You might want to look at going with RS-485 if your Click supports it.
              If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Could this help with what you want to do?
                https://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_5100A.htm

Comment

You have rs232 and only the connector is rj12.
                  what I would do:
                  1. Get the pinout of plc rj12. Either from documentation, or from this thread ( someone posted the pinout)
                  2. Beware that rs232 was devised for direct connection between two devices; although a network protocol can be implemented, the main limitation is cable length.
                  3. Configure the serial communication to be the same for both devices.
                  4. Use a laptop as serial com terminal to check comm with each device
                  5. Although apparently not needed, a certain protocol must exist so both devices can exchange messages. Click plc uses modbus.
                  6. If all checked, then the devices are ready. Connect them.

Comment

Working...
                  X