Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethernet connection between PLC's - MicroGrid

Hello
    I am working on a serious project where we're building a Micro power grid, I will be controlling the Generator, Slack and Load through my interconnection PLC.

I have been trying to add a slave PLC to my main PLC and i've been following the tutorial provided by Automation Direct.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKLuCE7zsI

I am using a Direct Logic 205 and a Stride SE-SW5U as my switch. Where the two PLC's are connection to the Stride, I have also tried connected the two PLC's directly to each other. I am using do-more and a C-more interface, so all my inputs and outputs are through the HMI. Is that all I need to create the network?

I am unable to detect the slave, but somehow when I connect the stride to our university's LAN I can defend the slave PLC but I an unable to control it.

I might be missing something but I am pretty sure I followed the direction in the tutorial video.

Regards.

Slave I/O or a slave PLC? I am guessing it's just slave I/O (that's what the video talks about), so it uses the Ethernet I/O protocol. Make sure your IP Addresses and subnet masks are consistent between the PLC and the Ethernet I/O slave. They must be on the same subnet. Use the NetEdit tool to configure that. If you have questions on subnets/addressing but you don't have an IT guy who can do that (many places are very specific about IP addressing, especially fixed IP addresses vs. DHCP vs. different Class IP addressing), definitely ask here.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

When you add the plc to the switch, the plc has to have a static IP address. I would configure both pics up addresses in the same subnet. Then use modbus tcp, detection should be transparent. I have my plc connected to a switch which also connects a wifi access point. I can see the plc on the wifi. In plus, the plc sees an ra485 modbus sensor via an interface to rs485, also connected to the switch.
      Last edited by Alexandru; 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqeelles View Post
        Hello
        I am working on a serious project where we're building a Micro power grid, I will be controlling the Generator, Slack and Load through my interconnection PLC.

I have been trying to add a slave PLC to my main PLC and i've been following the tutorial provided by Automation Direct.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKLuCE7zsI

I am using a Direct Logic 205 and a Stride SE-SW5U as my switch. Where the two PLC's are connection to the Stride, I have also tried connected the two PLC's directly to each other. I am using do-more and a C-more interface, so all my inputs and outputs are through the HMI. Is that all I need to create the network?

I am unable to detect the slave, but somehow when I connect the stride to our university's LAN I can defend the slave PLC but I an unable to control it.

I might be missing something but I am pretty sure I followed the direction in the tutorial video.

Regards.
        So to clarify:
        You have an "interconnection" PLC as your main PLC?
        You have a DL205 rack, with a Do-More CPU as a second PLC you are trying to connect?
        The Do-More CPU is a real CPU, and not a remote slave unit?
        You want the CMore HMI talking to both PLCs?

Are you trying to connect to the "slave" PLC with Do-More Designer software?
        Are you using the Do-More driver in the CMore HMI to connect to the DL205 rack?

Just trying to make sure all the info is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by franji1 View Post
          Slave I/O or a slave PLC? I am guessing it's just slave I/O (that's what the video talks about), so it uses the Ethernet I/O protocol. Make sure your IP Addresses and subnet masks are consistent between the PLC and the Ethernet I/O slave. They must be on the same subnet. Use the NetEdit tool to configure that. If you have questions on subnets/addressing but you don't have an IT guy who can do that (many places are very specific about IP addressing, especially fixed IP addresses vs. DHCP vs. different Class IP addressing), definitely ask here.
          I've got Slave PLC's not I/O. I realized that the video is talking about slave I/O yeah.

I have configured the IP address myself and they're on the same subnet. I've used 192.168.0.1 for my main PLC and 192.168.0.2 for my slave plc. I can't find it when I do NetEdit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandru View Post
            When you add the plc to the switch, the plc has to have a static IP address. I would configure both pics up addresses in the same subnet. Then use modbus tcp, detection should be transparent. I have my plc connected to a switch which also connects a wifi access point. I can see the plc on the wifi. In plus, the plc sees an ra485 modbus sensor via an interface to rs485, also connected to the switch.
            I did that, I am not sure how to use a modbus tcp but I will look it up.
            I also tried connecting the switch to the wifi access point I still cant see the slave PLC.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post

So to clarify:
              You have an "interconnection" PLC as your main PLC?
              You have a DL205 rack, with a Do-More CPU as a second PLC you are trying to connect?
              The Do-More CPU is a real CPU, and not a remote slave unit?
              You want the CMore HMI talking to both PLCs?

Are you trying to connect to the "slave" PLC with Do-More Designer software?
              Are you using the Do-More driver in the CMore HMI to connect to the DL205 rack?

Just trying to make sure all the info is correct.
              Yes
              Yes
              Yes
              the other group are working on their PLC, and I as an intConn I should have an access to their PLC using my HMI and control their system too.
              so we're like the central system that oversees all the other parts (Generators, Slack, Loads) and can modify real and reactive power, frequency ... etc

Yes
              Yes I believe so, if I understood your question well.

Comment

When I run NetEdit it says there is no GS drive or EBC100 connected.
                But what I am looking for is the H2-DM1E and not any of the above.

Comment

it is possible that both your plcs come with the default ethernet ip setup. if that is the case, obviously they can not work on the same network. you will need to connect to one plc and change the default ip address to say "192.168.0.11", to distinguish from "192.168.0.10" which is the default of the other plc. please check the default address on your plc, i only have click plc. aftter solving the dual ip address issue, then
                  what i would do:
                  1. troubleshoot the plc connection to local network:
                  1.1.i would connect both plcs to the switch.
                  1.2. i would connect the switch to the router
                  1.3. from computer i would ping each plc using "ping 192.168.0.10" in terminal window. obviously, your plcs will have different ip addresses. if both plcs respond, then i know there is communication between plcs as well as to pc. from this point forward, is only a matter of programming the plcs to talk to each other.
                  2. troucleshoot the programs on each plc. you should be able at this point to connect to the plc using click software.

3. if nothing works, i would check the switch. please beware that a router can work as a switch. however simple the config might be, i would recommend a 20$ switch.

one more thing: nowadays routers have two access points: one for 2.4GHz and another for 5GHz. there is a chance you have even more access points via other routers or range extenders. although there should not be any problem, in my case one access point does not allow accessing the local network, while i can still exit on internet. Point being, make sure youre network setup allows the plcs to communicate locally.
                  Last edited by Alexandru; 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Can you simply plug in a USB cable to the Do-More CPU and connect that way? Then once connected make sure the IP is set properly.

Once you ensure the IP is set right after doing a USB connection, open NetEdit (make sure you have the latest version that comes with the Do-More Designer software package) and make sure that NetEdit can see the Do-More PLC over Ethernet. Your laptop or other development PC must be on the same subnet as the PLCs are. So once you know your own PC is set right, and the PLC is set right, then you can go into the CMore HMI and tell it that the device it is connecting to is a Do-More, and tell it the IP of the PLC. All of these should now be able to talk to each other.

In the Do-More, use a memory address that is easy to find and has an easy to use modbuss adddress. Write that address down someplace.

Next, log in to your interconnection PLC and ensure it has the proper IP on the same subnet as well. Once you know its IP, make a small test program that is just a network write over Modbus TCP. Use something like a button or switch or simulator input to trigger the modbus write instruction. Set the Do-More PLC as the target IP, and set the target modbus address and type to match whatever you are trying to write to in the Do-More. Execute the program and press the button. Watch whatever data view you have to ensure that a success bit has turned on after the modbus write. If an error bit turned on instead then you have something misconfigured somewhere, probably in the address or type of data.

Once you can trigger the write instruction in your main PLC and get a success bit, go over to the Do-More and look at that memory location. You should see whatever data you just wrote. Now you can expand your whole program to be whatever you need it to.

Alternatively, you could make your test program in the Do-more and use a modbus read instruction instead. And set the target IP as the main plc, and the address and type of whatever memory address you want to use to test. Initiate the program in the Do-More and look for the success bit. Whichever way you do it will probably depend on if you plan on writing most stuff from the main PLC to the Do-more, or reading most of the stuff in the Do-More out of your main PLC.

Once you have the modbus read or write working properly, in the HMI make a tag and set it to the memory address you have been using in the Do-More. Make a numeric display on a screen and set the tag used as the one you just made. Then, the HMI will display whatever data is in the Do-More memory address. As you change the data in your main PLC, the Do-More will receive it as soon as you do a modbus read or write, and then the HMI will update as it is reading directly out of the Do-More.
                    Last edited by MikeN; 11-29-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandru View Post
                      it is possible that both your plcs come with the default ethernet ip setup. if that is the case, obviously they can not work on the same network. you will need to connect to one plc and change the default ip address to say "192.168.0.11", to distinguish from "192.168.0.10" which is the default of the other plc. please check the default address on your plc, i only have click plc. aftter solving the dual ip address issue, then
                      what i would do:
                      1. troubleshoot the plc connection to local network:
                      1.1.i would connect both plcs to the switch.
                      1.2. i would connect the switch to the router
                      1.3. from computer i would ping each plc using "ping 192.168.0.10" in terminal window. obviously, your plcs will have different ip addresses. if both plcs respond, then i know there is communication between plcs as well as to pc. from this point forward, is only a matter of programming the plcs to talk to each other.
                      2. troucleshoot the programs on each plc. you should be able at this point to connect to the plc using click software.

3. if nothing works, i would check the switch. please beware that a router can work as a switch. however simple the config might be, i would recommend a 20$ switch.

one more thing: nowadays routers have two access points: one for 2.4GHz and another for 5GHz. there is a chance you have even more access points via other routers or range extenders. although there should not be any problem, in my case one access point does not allow accessing the local network, while i can still exit on internet. Point being, make sure youre network setup allows the plcs to communicate locally.
                      That was helpful, I didnt know I need to connect the switch to a router too! I thought it would do the job itself.
                      When I connected it to the computer's ethernet card which -I suppose- is acting as router I was able to see the two plc's.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                        Can you simply plug in a USB cable to the Do-More CPU and connect that way? Then once connected make sure the IP is set properly.

Once you ensure the IP is set right after doing a USB connection, open NetEdit (make sure you have the latest version that comes with the Do-More Designer software package) and make sure that NetEdit can see the Do-More PLC over Ethernet. Your laptop or other development PC must be on the same subnet as the PLCs are. So once you know your own PC is set right, and the PLC is set right, then you can go into the CMore HMI and tell it that the device it is connecting to is a Do-More, and tell it the IP of the PLC. All of these should now be able to talk to each other.

In the Do-More, use a memory address that is easy to find and has an easy to use modbuss adddress. Write that address down someplace.

Next, log in to your interconnection PLC and ensure it has the proper IP on the same subnet as well. Once you know its IP, make a small test program that is just a network write over Modbus TCP. Use something like a button or switch or simulator input to trigger the modbus write instruction. Set the Do-More PLC as the target IP, and set the target modbus address and type to match whatever you are trying to write to in the Do-More. Execute the program and press the button. Watch whatever data view you have to ensure that a success bit has turned on after the modbus write. If an error bit turned on instead then you have something misconfigured somewhere, probably in the address or type of data.

Once you can trigger the write instruction in your main PLC and get a success bit, go over to the Do-More and look at that memory location. You should see whatever data you just wrote. Now you can expand your whole program to be whatever you need it to.

Alternatively, you could make your test program in the Do-more and use a modbus read instruction instead. And set the target IP as the main plc, and the address and type of whatever memory address you want to use to test. Initiate the program in the Do-More and look for the success bit. Whichever way you do it will probably depend on if you plan on writing most stuff from the main PLC to the Do-more, or reading most of the stuff in the Do-More out of your main PLC.

Once you have the modbus read or write working properly, in the HMI make a tag and set it to the memory address you have been using in the Do-More. Make a numeric display on a screen and set the tag used as the one you just made. Then, the HMI will display whatever data is in the Do-More memory address. As you change the data in your main PLC, the Do-More will receive it as soon as you do a modbus read or write, and then the HMI will update as it is reading directly out of the Do-More.
                        This did give me some tips on how to fix the issue, the subnet address was not the same between the laptop I am using and the PLC.

Now I got the two PLC to recognize each other and I was able to do network write WX and see the data updated on the other do more.

Now, since my system consists of several PLCs each with its own HMI

Since I am the interconnection PLC I want to be able to read some outputs/values from the other PLC HMI's (Voltage, frequency .. etc) and show them on my HMI, as well as being able to write to them too, as in for example adjust real and reactive power. In a sense I am duplicating each group's HMI in my HMI and controlling their HMI.

I am not sure if there's already a thread in this forum that explain what I am looking for but here's what I already did so far.

On my MAIN/MASTER C-more I went to 'Panel Manager' and added a new Ethernet HMI and I picked "AutomationDirect Do-more Ethernet, and I put my slave's PLC IP address.

that's where I stopped and trying to figure out the rest.

any tip would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqeelles View Post
                          Now, since my system consists of several PLCs each with its own HMI

Since I am the interconnection PLC I want to be able to read some outputs/values from the other PLC HMI's (Voltage, frequency .. etc) and show them on my HMI, as well as being able to write to them too, as in for example adjust real and reactive power. In a sense I am duplicating each group's HMI in my HMI and controlling their HMI.

I am not sure if there's already a thread in this forum that explain what I am looking for but here's what I already did so far.

On my MAIN/MASTER C-more I went to 'Panel Manager' and added a new Ethernet HMI and I picked "AutomationDirect Do-more Ethernet, and I put my slave's PLC IP address.

that's where I stopped and trying to figure out the rest.

any tip would be appreciated.

I have never read data out of another HMI before, normally you would read data out of the PLC with the data. The HMI is doing that as well and simply displaying what one of the PLCs has.

On your main HMI with the new do-more device added, you will need to add some tags that the do-more PLC uses. Then you can make display objects set for those tags, and it will display whatever data the do-more PLC has in those memory addresses.

I dont believe CMore HMIs have a specific PLC type/driver for other CMore panels. You could probably use Modbus TCP, and set all the information to whatever another CMore HMI is. However Im not sure how you would figure out the modbus addresses in the CMore for the data you want.

Comment

Working...
                          X