X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trimixdiver1
    started a topic MQTT questions

MQTT questions

First, Iím not up on all the new HA stuff, but what exactly can a BRX do with MQTT? I have a SmartThings hub. Can I talk to end devices directly with MQTT? Or do I need to use SmartThings as a hub? Big question, how do you do it?

thanks

• GKiser
    replied
    Originally posted by trimixdiver1 View Post
    First, Iím not up on all the new HA stuff, but what exactly can a BRX do with MQTT? I have a SmartThings hub. Can I talk to end devices directly with MQTT? Or do I need to use SmartThings as a hub? Big question, how do you do it?
    Regarding how MQTT works with BRX, you can go to our website (www.hosteng.com), and in the left pane under Training Slides, click on Only BRX PLCs. There you can then download the Microsoft PowerPoint slides for MQTT protocol. These slides were used to train the AD techs, so they are as they are. They are also animated, so you'll have to do a slide show in PowerPoint to get the understanding. Printing them out would be a mess.

Leave a comment:

• Do-more PE
    replied
    SmartThings is a broker and a subscriber, but it still isn't the intended functionality. Might work, might not, but it will take a LOT of digging to get it all figured out. Samsung doesn't do the best job of clearly defining their specifications.

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    MQTT isnít a protocol for devices to talk to each other. Devices publish and/or subscribe topics to/from brokers. You could build a machine and publish lots of interesting information about the process. Other users or machines could log into the broker and access that information. The maintenance guy could access information that could help drive PMs. The shift leader could access information about operator efficiency and up time. The VP of production could access high leve production stats.

So the simple answer is no, end devices donít talk to each other, you need a broker between them.

Leave a comment:

• Do-more PE
    replied
    That's not really what MQTT was intended for in BRX. Not to say it won't work, but MQTT was added as an easy means of transferring data around a network or the Internet to a broker running on a server.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X