Barcode Scanner Connected to a BRX PLC via Ethernet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barcode Scanner Connected to a BRX PLC via Ethernet

Has anyone had any experience connecting an Ethernet Barcode Scanner to a BRX PLC via Ethernet. If so, what protocol? Ethernet/IP? Also, what brand of Bar Code Scanner was used. Also, if this port is used for Bar Code Scanning, can it still be used to write data to a file?

I looked online, I know you can use a serial barcode scanner and that maybe what I have to use, but if I can use and ethernet it would give me the option.

I've done several using Matrix 300N's from Datalogic. I just use TCP/IP via custom protocol for speed.
    Yes, you can also talk to other Ethernet devices, as long as speed is not going to be an issue (BRX is fast, but I don't know your application.).
    Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
    Jason Wolthuis

Comment

I haven't used a BRX but I have tried a IFM O2I bar code reader on a productivity 1000 in both tcp/ip and Ethernet IP so far it is working well.

https://www.ifm.com/us/en/shared/pro...-like-a-sensor
      Last edited by z28z34man; 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Z28Z24Man.....Did you have to write your own custom protocol or did you use a standard one?

Comment

Originally posted by CEstherDurham View Post
          Z28Z24Man.....Did you have to write your own custom protocol or did you use a standard one?
          What is your application?
          Is it high-speed?
          What else are you wanting the BRX to talk to via the Ethernet port?
          You could always use the serial port for your scanner as well.
          That would free up your Ethernet port for other things.
          Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
          Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Mine didn't require high speed but both setups seamed fast. I went the Ethernet IP implicit more out of convenience because that is what I am used to.

Before the Ethernet IP firmware was released for the O2I I used the custom protocol over Ethernet instruction. When the Ethernet IP firmware was released I switched to Ethernet IP implicit. They both work.

I have a contact over at IFM in the barcode reader section if you want I can see if it is ok with him that I pm you his info.
            Last edited by z28z34man; 04-30-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X