No announcement yet.

Allen Bradley 1734-AENT Point I/O (Remote I/O) with BRX PLC using Ethernet I/P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Bradley 1734-AENT Point I/O (Remote I/O) with BRX PLC using Ethernet I/P

Is it possible to use Allen Bradley 1734-AENT Point I/O (Remote I/O) with BRX PLC using Ethernet I/P?
    I spoke with AD and they indicated it should be possible.
    However, I looked in the BRX software (Do-More Designer) and I didn't see how to configure it to communicate with the remote I/O.
    Any help would be useful - even if it is to tell me it isn't possible.

BRX currently implements Explicit Message, but not I/O Scanner. Can your A/B 1734 be an Explicit Message Server? If so, then you can use BRX as an Explicit Message Client. However, if the A/B can only be an I/O Adapter, then BRX currently does not have the capability of being an I/O Scanner.

Current plans are to add support for I/O Scanner in the next release.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

The 1734-AENT indicates it uses CIP messaging which I understand is explicit messaging.
      I've been looking at how to do this but I've never used this communications option.
      Any help on how to do this would be useful.
      I see how to set the BRX as an Ethernet I/P server, however, I was thinking it would be the client.
      I have the A/B manual discussing assembly instance, configuration size, etc. but I'm not sure how to use these.
      I see there is an EIPMSG block that is likely used for this but once again, it's all new to me.

Comment

Use EIPMSG instruction for client. EIP server is configured in the system configuration dialog.

Comment

Thanks for the help!
          I'm still not sure how to configure the BRX plc to communicate with the AB point I/O.
          Are there any examples of setting up the BRX in a manner that would communicate with the remote AB point I/O?
          I don't see how to use the BRX to address the CIP parameters for the point I/O.

Comment

I have the BRX PLC working with the example available from the AD video which uses the PLC as the server and the simulator as the client.
            The issue now is how to configure the IO.
            i don’t see the values to use which correspond to the EIPMSG items.

Comment

Originally posted by carnsdorff View Post
              The 1734-AENT indicates it uses CIP messaging which I understand is explicit messaging.
              I've been looking at how to do this but I've never used this communications option.
              Any help on how to do this would be useful.
              I see how to set the BRX as an Ethernet I/P server, however, I was thinking it would be the client.
              I have the A/B manual discussing assembly instance, configuration size, etc. but I'm not sure how to use these.
              I see there is an EIPMSG block that is likely used for this but once again, it's all new to me.
              I am almost sure the 1734-AENT is implicit messaging. When setting up communication in the logix platform you need to set an RPI which indicates implicit to me. Explicit messaging is done through ladder logic and the PLC needs to ask the server every time.

https://library.automationdirect.com...cit-messaging/

Comment

I'm not sure. The manual indicates explicit messaging but does indicate using a RPI.

Comment

Implicit capable devices often also support explicit. RPI would only apply to implicit. Data rate for explicit is defined in the EIPMSG instruction.

Comment

How do I find the appropriate values to send for configuration and transfer of I/O information for the A/B point I/O using the EIPMSG?

Comment

Originally posted by carnsdorff View Post
                      How do I find the appropriate values to send for configuration and transfer of I/O information for the A/B point I/O using the EIPMSG?
                      Should be in a AB document, although they are notoriously bad about making such things hard to find.

Comment

I find A-B's knowledgebase next to worthless, unless you know the exact number of the document you wish to find.
                        Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Dice View Post
                          I find A-B's knowledgebase next to worthless, unless you know the exact number of the document you wish to find.
                          Is this something customers have to pay for, or is it accessible to everybody? What I am hoping for is that someone who uses A/B (there are a few of those out there) could just provide a public URL to THAT document. But, knowing A/B, it IS a subscription model, complete with lawyers ensuring nobody can print out or post these documents on the web. They hire the same lawyers that the Beatles use to make sure none of their content is on the web. Costs a ton of money, but A/B customers love paying those high prices for that added value .
                          There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by franji1 View Post

Is this something customers have to pay for, or is it accessible to everybody? What I am hoping for is that someone who uses A/B (there are a few of those out there) could just provide a public URL to THAT document. But, knowing A/B, it IS a subscription model, complete with lawyers ensuring nobody can print out or post these documents on the web. They hire the same lawyers that the Beatles use to make sure none of their content is on the web. Costs a ton of money, but A/B customers love paying those high prices for that added value .
                            You can only access with registration. What I don't remember is if my local A-B had to assist in my registering.

There's no doubt Allen-Bradley has great PLCs/Pacs, but their cost and the arrogance of Rockwell is a huge turn-off to me. I think their HMI software is bloatware (C-more definitely kicks their butt), and I don't appreciate how all their software packages require subscription keys (and their "free" software, Connected Components Workbench, doesn't include online editing without purchasing that option).

I'm definitely an AD guy. I just wish all my customers would join in.
                            Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Each year it seems more and more are willing to switch off of Allen-Bradley in the US. It will get there eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X