Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find my PLC's IP address with Direct Soft 6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find my PLC's IP address with Direct Soft 6.

I have a "D0-06AR" PLC. When I hook up via Comm Port 1 of the described PLC, is there a way to identify the IP address?

Background: When my laptop is connected to the internet via ethernet I can easily establish what the IP address is. Along with all of the other PLCs that are connected to the network. Currently trying to map where all of the PLC's are physically located. So I have to disconnect my laptop via ethernet. I'm trying to verify the PLC IP address by communicating through Comm Port 1.

If you can't use NetEdit, then you can write ladder logic to read the IP Address. See the IBox ECRDIP - ECOM100 Read IP Address.

The 06 manual is available here:
    https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta...d006userm.html

EDIT: sorry, the main IBox chapter is chapter 5. The end of that chapter has the IBoxes you are looking for. The appendix at the end only contains the NEW IBoxes for DirectSOFT 6.
    Last edited by franji1; 02-13-2020, 03:03 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

I'll have to look into NetEdit some more to see if will let me determine the PLC's IP address.
      If not, I will attempt to input the ladder logic.

After I am to input that portion of ladder logic, will I be able to read the IP address when monitoring the PLC on my laptop?

Comment

Netedit is executed over Ethernet. You appeared to want to limit communication to the serial port.
        thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by Dommbro View Post
          After I am to input that portion of ladder logic, will I be able to read the IP address when monitoring the PLC on my laptop?
          Yes. ECRDIP instruction will stick it into 4 V registers, one for each "octet" of the 32 bit IP Address. I can't remember the order. In the example from the manual, it puts the 4 bytes into 4 V registers V3000 thru V3003. So, if the IP Address is 192.168.1.42, I can't remember if it will be stored with V3000 being 192 (MSByte of address) or V3000 being 42 (LSByte of address). They are definitely binary format, not BCD.

Hence, DirectSOFT or an HMI like C-more could easily monitor those 4 V registers over a serial connection.
          There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlton View Post
            Netedit is executed over Ethernet. You appeared to want to limit communication to the serial port.
            I noticed there is an option to scan my laptop's Comm Ports. Specifically the one I'm using for communication to the PLC. It will scan for about 15 seconds and then show nothing. Is it possible to Netedit to find the IP address when communicating through the PLC comm port?

Maybe I need to look into the process of setting up a PLC's IP address and work backwards.

Comment

Working...
            X