X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• racrowd
    started a topic productivity3000 communicate w/ DMM telnet

productivity3000 communicate w/ DMM telnet

I'm looking at possibly using the productivity 3000 for a project, but I wanted to make sure it can communicate with a digital multi-meter (fluke 8845a) over ethernet. I know that I can communicate with the fluke over telnet, and I was able to do this on the do-more. We are looking to make a standard for our PLCs and so we are looking to get something that we are going to be happy with for a while. Thanks

• Do-more PE
    replied
    To answer your original question, the Productivity 3000 does not have the ability to communicate with ASCII over Ethernet or to make a custom Ethernet protocol at this time.

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    Originally posted by racrowd View Post
    I feel this is getting into a debate of which one is better. The point of this thread was learn if the P3k can do something that I can do on the do-more.
    I agree that the thread is off track, but a debate on which is better is not my intention in the slightest. The truth is that we get very little actionable feedback from users from that *didn't* choose our product, and yet that can be the most critical feedback. When someone evaluates my product against another head-to-head and chooses the other, I will crawl over glass to have a conversation with that person.

Leave a comment:

• racrowd
    replied
    I feel this is getting into a debate of which one is better. The point of this thread was learn if the P3k can do something that I can do on the do-more.

It is difficult to see what our needs will be in the future. I'm looking for something that satisfies my needs now and allows the most versatility in the future. I don't know if that is the do-more or the p3k.

I really do like the do-more. Programming software is excellent. It performs well. I'll PM you to more accurately answer your question.

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    BobO - I really do like the do-more plc. It is a great product. I always thought of the p3k as very powerful, but very expensive. I thought that I would price out the pac to see how that would go and I found that after all of the cards, ziplink products, and dataworx package (unlimited plcs), I find that it was cheaper than the do-more. Not including the dataworx, the p3k was about $300 more. I don't know if I will ever use some of the tools found in the p3k, but I do like to think that in the future more and more of the components will be digitally controlled and that the p3k would put us in a better postion for that future.
    So if I'm understanding, P3K does stuff you need to do natively, whereas Do-more requires adding Dataworx to do the same thing?

If you're willing, please explain what you mean by digitally controlled components, and how P3K is better at doing so.

Leave a comment:

• racrowd
    replied
    Techme - actually I'm able to speak to the dmm over a tcp connection. It would be similar to using putty terminal. In the domore you would open a tcp connection to the device (client), send a string over the tcp connection, and wait for a response. How about the network read and write? Can that be used to establish a connection like I'm taking about our is it strictly from pac to pac?

BobO - I really do like the do-more plc. It is a great product. I always thought of the p3k as very powerful, but very expensive. I thought that I would price out the pac to see how that would go and I found that after all of the cards, ziplink products, and dataworx package (unlimited plcs), I find that it was cheaper than the do-more. Not including the dataworx, the p3k was about $300 more. I don't know if I will ever use some of the tools found in the p3k, but I do like to think that in the future more and more of the components will be digitally controlled and that the p3k would put us in a better postion for that future.

A pet peeve of mine is having to deal with the v memory locations that I've delt with in directsoft all of these years. I'm good at using them, but I do find it archaic. Do-more did a great job satisfying both the v memory location requirements and handling named variables.

Overall, I'm pleased with the do-more. I guess the more I learn about the p3k, the less superior it looks.

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    ...and I was able to do this on the do-more. We are looking to make a standard for our PLCs and so we are looking to get something that we are going to be happy with for a while.
    We're always interested in knowing what we can do to make our products better. Can you give any details as to why Do-more was not your choice going forward after doing the initial testing?

Leave a comment:

• techme
    replied
    From looking at the info on the meter I am assuming you are doing ASCII from the controller. Yes the P3000 supports ASCII and Modbus from the built in RS 232 port on the CPU. There is also the option of the custom protocol that can be used for serial communications. On thing to note is the cpu RS- 232 port only has a RTS pin. If you need RTS and CTS you may want to look at the P3-SCM module which has 3 ports that support RTS and CTS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X