BX-DM1E-36ED23 to third party sensor communication protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BX-DM1E-36ED23 to third party sensor communication protocol

I have a BX-DM1E-36ED23, connected to a cmore panel, and a laser micrometer using the RS-232 port. I need to connect 3 additional sensors be keyence, which come with a variety of communication options, but I have to choose one at purchase. While I'm sure most can be made to work, I'm somewhat of a newbie to industrial networking, which protocol would likely be the easiest to work with? Choices are:
    EtherCAT, PROFINET, EtherNet/IP, DeviceNet, PROFIBUS, TCP/IP, RS-232C, BCD.

Of those, I'm guessing the RS232 can't be made to work since the port is taken. BCD sounds like the most custom and difficult to implement solution. I never heard of ethercat before.
    Cable between PLC and sensors will be approx 30'.

Thanks in advance.

You can add a 2nd serial port via a POM, or 4 more serial ports via BX-SERIO. I'd say TCP/IP could work as well.

Comment

Thanks! I did serial for the micrometer, so the task seems familiar at least. There, however, I get a fair bit of communication errors. The program runs a loop where it requests value a, reads it, then b, then c, and then repeats that endlessly. Every 20-100 reads a non displayable character sneaks into the string and messes up the part of the program that separates the letters from the numbers (incoming string shows up as ".A999" instead of "A999"). I drop those values, and make do with the rest, which is fine as long as the error is 1 in 20, but could be a problem for 1 in 5.
      Is TCP/IP likely to be more reliable? Would any of the others?

Comment

EtherCAT is a Beckhoff thing I think mitsubishi supports it as well. I'd go for Ether/IP. I think for Keyence the flow is on word four or eight of the input assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_M View Post
          Thanks! I did serial for the micrometer, so the task seems familiar at least. There, however, I get a fair bit of communication errors. The program runs a loop where it requests value a, reads it, then b, then c, and then repeats that endlessly. Every 20-100 reads a non displayable character sneaks into the string and messes up the part of the program that separates the letters from the numbers (incoming string shows up as ".A999" instead of "A999"). I drop those values, and make do with the rest, which is fine as long as the error is 1 in 20, but could be a problem for 1 in 5.
          Is TCP/IP likely to be more reliable? Would any of the others?
          Serial can be plenty reliable, but can also be subject to noise, particularly with RS232. If you are having constant issues I would be looking at cabling and grounding. RS485 is a differential pair, so noise tends to be reduced since it's common mode.

But yes, Ethernet might be better.

Comment

Working...
          X