Can't get click PLC to make a TECO L510 drive work via RS-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get click PLC to make a TECO L510 drive work via RS-485

I have a L510 drive from Teco and I cannot get it to work with my Click PLC using the RS-485 protocol. I tried to change a setting like the frequency which is register 2502H (I set to Modbus Hex addressing because the drive does not support Modbus 984 addressing) by setting my starting slave address to 2502H and then for the frequency I put in 0BB8h for 30 Hertz for the starting master address in DH1 and wrote that value to the DH1 register using the dataview. Nothing happens and I get an error bit that I set for C18. I set the drive to serial slave ID 2 on the drive and in the PLC send instruction setting, and the PLC is set to node 1. I set everything else to match up with the PLC side communication and did same thing in the drive for the communication on its side such as baud rate and parities and stop bits. But nothing works. Anyone have any ideas? The LED's are working. I do get a RX LED flash when the TX LED is flashed when I send the command. I set the frequency command to communication also in the drive instead of keypad or Potentiometer.

The easiest way for help is to let us know which model Click you're using and posting a screen shot of your Modbus Send settings, or attach your PLC code.
    Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Here are the images that shows how I set this up:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	l5102.png
Views:	37
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	129503

Name:	l510.png
Views:	39
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	129502

Comment

I set the drive to serial slave ID 2 on the drive and in the PLC send instruction setting, and the PLC is set to node 1.
        Huh? The Master does not have an address. I can't read your screen shot, but set the Master to communicate with Node 2, since that is what you have the drive set for...

Comment

You have to open the images in a new tab to get full size. The PLC is set to Node 1 and the drive is set to slave ID 2.

Comment

Originally posted by DenR View Post
            You have to open the images in a new tab to get full size. The PLC is set to Node 1 and the drive is set to slave ID 2.
            genebond is right. Your com 3 port should be set to 2.

- Walt Disney

Comment

^
              confirmed

DenR, have you tried subtracting 1 from your register addresses (in CLICK?)
              Also, add the status tags in the SEND instruction, so you can see the actual error statuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Dice View Post

genebond is right. Your com 3 port should be set to 2.
                I'm missing something here. Yeah, the pic shows Com2 , but the help file for Com3 says the same thing for item 4

Name:	MB Master.png
Views:	30
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	129537

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post

I'm missing something here. Yeah, the pic shows Com2 , but the help file for Com3 says the same thing for item 4

Name:	MB Master.png
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	129537
                  "I should'a had a V8" Yes, I looked at an old application where I was writing to a GS2, and the com 3 port was set to 1.

Looking it over, shouldn't the baud rate be 9600? I think I read that 9600 is the default for a TECO drive.

- Walt Disney

Comment

"I should'a had a V8" Yes, I looked at an old application where I was writing to a GS2, and the com 3 port was set to 1.

Looking it over, shouldn't the baud rate be 9600? I think I read that 9600 is the default for a TECO drive.

Manual (pg 4-17) says that 19200 is default. - still, I would check on the drive!
                    https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Man...ion_manual.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post

Manual (pg 4-17) says that 19200 is default. - still, I would check on the drive!
                      https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Man...ion_manual.pdf
                      And then there's page 6-4 that states 9600. Click image for larger version

Name:	Teco Drive.png
Views:	26
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	129548

- Walt Disney

Comment

And then there's page 6-4 that states 9600.
                        I'm gonna *SMH* and laugh!

Maybe that is in Hex, too
                        Last edited by kewakl; 03-23-2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I am using the 3rd port of the PLC and I have it set to use that. The settings in the drive are 19200 baud rate. All other settings are the same except for parameter 09-00 where I set it to 2. I have checked already. You guys said to also set the PLC to node 2. That did nothing. I would think the PLC is the master so it should be 1 and the slave ID would be different.

DenR, have you tried subtracting 1 from your register addresses (in CLICK?)
                          Also, add the status tags in the SEND instruction, so you can see the actual error statuses.]
                          From the 2502H or from the command I sent in DH1?

What status tags.

Comment

I am using the 3rd port of the PLC and I have it set to use that. The settings in the drive are 19200 baud rate. All other settings are the same except for parameter 09-00 where I set it to 2. I have checked already. You guys said to also set the PLC to node 2. That did nothing. I would think the PLC is the master so it should be 1 and the slave ID would be different.

What status tags.
                            Yes, leave the port 3 to 1.

- Walt Disney

Comment

What status tags.
                              Subtract 1 from the drives' register address. (2502H)

...the status tags in the image below. You may get an exception error code to tell you what the drive does not like about the modbus packet.

Name:	status.png
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	129565

Comment

Working...
                              X