DL260 (Port2) to DL05 (Port2) via a pair of MDS TransNET900 Radios

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL260 (Port2) to DL05 (Port2) via a pair of MDS TransNET900 Radios

I am currently having issues getting the 260 and 05 to communicate. I have them networked through a pair of TransNET900s and the MRX & MWX messages seem to be making it to the 05 from the 260 but there is no response back from the 05. The radios are about 3/4 of a mile apart with an unobstructed line of site.

DL260 Comm Setup:
    Port: 2
    Protocol: MODBUS
    Time-out: Base x 5
    RTS On Delay: 10mS
    RTS Off Delay: 10mS
    Station: 1
    Baud: 9600
    Stop Bits: 1
    Parity: None
    Echo Suppression: RS-422/485 (4-wire) / RS-232C (2-wire)

Radio Serial Config (x2):
    Data Port:
    Data Bits: 8
    Device Mode: DCE
    CTS Time: 0mS
    CTS Hold Time: 0mS
    Output Trigger: Off
    Serial Port Interface: RS-232
    RXD Delay: 0

DL05 Comm Setup:
    Port: 2
    Protocol: MODBUS
    Time-out: Base x 5
    RTS On Delay: 10mS
    RTS Off Delay: 10mS
    Station: 12

I can see the the radios are synced and I can see the TX indicator on the radio flash each time the 260 polls. At the 05, I can see the radio’s RX indicator flash as well as the RX2 indicator on the 05 when the 260 polls but the 05 does not respond. When I monitor the 260’s program I can see the SP117 go on after each poll which indicates either a timeout or comm error.

My polling instructions are setup as follows:

MRX
    CPU/DCM Slot: CPU / K0
    Port: K2
    Slave Address: K12
    Function Code: 03 - Read Holding Register
    Start Slave Memory Address: K43265
    Start Master Memory Address: V6000
    Number of Elements: K1
    Modbus Data Type: 584/984 Mode
    Exception Response Buffer: V400

MWX
    CPU/DCM Slot: CPU / K0
    Port: K2
    Slave Address: K12
    Function Code: 16 - Preset Multiple Registers
    Start Slave Memory Address: K43329
    Start Master Memory Address: V6100
    Number of Elements: K1
    Modbus Data Type: 584/984 Mode
    Exception Response Buffer: V404

Any ideas what the problem could be or suggestions where I should look?

You didn't include wiring, so I am going to have to assume that it is correct.

Start by disabling the MWX instruction. It is easier to troubleshoot a read than a write. Then bump your RTS On and Off delay a bit. you might need to go as high as 100ms depending on your scan time.

If that doesn't do it, I'd try getting them to talk using a D0-CBL and a FA-15HD connector locally then move back to the radios.
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Ok, I have the cable and adapter you mentioned on the way and will be able to try it out in the morning. Just to confirm, here is the pin outs of the PLC & Radio cables I am using.

DL260 (Port2) - DTE Device - DB15 - Female
      MDS TransNET900 (Data Port) - DCE Device - DB9 - Female

Port2 Pin 2 (TX) to Data Port Pin 3 (TX)
      Port2 Pin 3 (RX) to Data Port Pin 2 (RX)
      Port2 Pin 7 (Gnd) to Data Port Pin 5 (Gnd)
      Port2 Pin 4 (RTS) to Port2 Pin 5 (CTS)

MDS TransNET900 (Data Port) - DCE Device - DB9 - Female
      DL05 (Port2) - DTE Device - RJ12 6P6C - Male

Data Port Pin 2 (RX) to Port2 Pin 3 (RX)
      Data Port Pin 3 (TX) to Port2 Pin 4 (TX)
      Data Port Pin 5 (Gnd) to Port2 Pin 1 (Gnd)

I used a D2-DSCBL-1 at the DL260 which I cut off the factory DB9F and replaced it with an DB9M. At the DL05 I used a D2-DSCBL which I cut off the factory DB9F of and replaced it with an DB9M. I checked continuity afterwards on each cable to confirm the pinout.

Comment

What did you do with the CTS (Clear To Send) pin on the D2-260 PLC side?

If CTS never goes high, it is going to go into timeout.
        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Port2 Pin 4 (RTS) to Port2 Pin 5 (CTS)

Comment

Ok, I have got the D0-CBL and a FA-15HD connector installed and it seems to be doing the same thing. I wrote a simple program (attached) for each PLC in case the original program was flawed but still no luck. Any suggestions?
            Attached Files

Comment

Do you have the Data Buffer Mode turned on in the radio? If you look in the manual, this mode is turned off by default but needs to be turned on for Modbus. You could be getting a gap in the communications and that is why the 05 doesn't respond (the 05 adheres strictly to the Modbus spec and is sensitive to gaps in the message).

Comment

I think Gary in Tech Support helped get this going with the PLC's locally yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                X