LabView to Click PLC Send/Receive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LabView to Click PLC Send/Receive

I am starting on a new contract tomorrow where the client needs me to control certain bits in a CLICK PLC from LabView over a USB-to-RS232 cable.

1) Do I need an additional piece of software between LabView and the PLC to be able to control and read bits and such in the PLC? If so, what do you recommend? I'm assuming I need a DDE or OPC connection but it's been so long since I've really delved into that area of programming.
    2) Is there a piece of hardware that would mount near the CLICK PLC that would achieve the same goal?
    3) Is there a better way? LabView and CLICK PLC are not changable at this point without a truly compelling reason.

Thank you.

You will want to use the MODBUS Library for LabVIEW which is a free download from NI.

It has VIs for Modbus serial that you can use in your application.

Use a D2-DSCBL between the PC COM port (or USB-Serial adapter) and Click Port 2 or use the EA-MG-PGM-CBL between the PC and Click Port 2.

Look at the MB Serial Example Master.vi that is also included in the library. It is easy to modify the Modbus addresses in it so you can do a quick check of reads and writes on the bits in the Click PLC.

Comment

Working...
    X