Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

I am new to DirectLogic and need some direction. I have a book binding machine that I need help with.

Here is how it goes:

B31 sees a book which gives me an LED that the book has passed that photoeye. There is also a prox (B52) that reads a cam that is in time with B31. B52 is a constant so it will always give the LED indicator. The only time B31 LED comes on is ofcourse when there is a book Present. I added a .5 second OFFDTMR so that B31 and B52 come on at the same time.

There are two other photoeyes (B60 & B61) that tell the binder that there is a jam and/or if a cover has passed it. I want to use these two to stop the binder if it does not see a cover at B60 when B52 has 13 pulses and/or B61 does not see a cover when B52 has 19 pulses.

So if there is no cover at B60 after 13 B52 pulses then i want the binder to stop and the same for B61 with its respective 19 pulses from B52.

I have added counters to the program to count B52 pulses but I als need them to reset if a cover is seen at B60 and/or B61.

Next, I am adding a light for 2 minutes to indicate tell the machine operator that it was the cover feeder that shut off the binder. Lastly, I am adding a momentary pushbutton as a reset for he counters.

Below is the program I have so far. Again I am used to working with Allen Bradley so I am confused on several commands here. I need to know if what i made is correct or please critque it. Also where do I add B60 & B61 to have it do what I need done.

I am sure It will be confusing as I have explained so I wll give the "nicknames" of the inputs and outputs.

X1 = Cover Deck in Use - Selector Switch
    X2 = Book Present - B31
    C2 = Off Delay for Book Present Photoeye
    X3 = B52 - Cam Prox
    CT0 = B60 Counter
    CT2 = B60 Aux Counter
    CT1 = B61 Counter
    CT3 = B61 Aux Counter
    X4 = (B60) 13 Pulses from B52
    X5 = (B61) 19 Pulses from B52
    Y1 = Binder off
    T0 = 2 minute timer
    Y2 = 2 minute light indicating cover feeder shut off binder
    C0 = Binder clutch

Last edited by Ion; 09-30-2013, 02:58 PM.

first, add the names of your I/O to the program itself... this will clear up some confusion, such as what inputs are B60 & B61. Look under the 'Tools' tab.

Second, unless you're using stages, I don't see the need for a stage counter (CT2 & CT3 are stage counters)

if you give a better defined list of I/O, it would be easier to assist.... also, since you've mentioned that you're coming from AB, have you looked at Bernie's AB to AD portion of his site? It goes in-depth on the differences between the two, it's here...

http://www.theplcguy.com/ABtoAD/Introduction.htm

EDIT: changed names...
    Last edited by scott.lawrence; 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Ron's AB to AD portion of his site
      I assume you are thinking of Ron Beaufort?

While I am extremely flattered that you may think my work is up to the incredible quality of Ron Beaufort's training site I don't think he would happy with the comparison. Ron strictly does Allen Bradley (as far as I know). I just present my poor attempt to help those making this transition.
      Last edited by bcarlton; 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM.
      thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

yep, I was thinking of Ron (maybe the AB reference?),but credit goes to Bernie....

and a side note, you, Bernie, are up there with Ron & others, as what we plebs call god tier

Comment

Thanks

Scott I have edited the program a bit and gave the elements nicknames.

The reason I added stage counters is so that my first book (from B31) wont shut off the binder as B52 (X3) counts 13 pulses. So basically here is how it goes:

B31 sees a book which is when B52 (X3) has its first pulse. It takes 13 pulses (from B52) for the book to reach the spot where X4 (1st Stage Jam Eye) finally sees a book cover then they meet where they are to be glued together. I am only using the counters so that if I have more than 13 pulses and a cover is not seen at X4 (1st Stage Jam Eye) then it shuts off the binder. I wouldnt use the stage counters if I knew AD better.

Does this make more sense?

Comment

Now I'm confused...

In rung 8 are you trying to reset the input for the selector switch?

In rung 9 shouldn't that go to an output, for the clutch?

however, I think I understand what you're attempting... let me know if I missed the mark.

http://imgur.com/a/SOCt7

Comment

thanks again

Yeah had the wrong bit there. Yours looks so much cleaner than mine. But yeah you got what i was wanting!

Thanks again.

Comment

hmm...

What did i do wrong?

Comment

You only need to specify the first of the words (V1400). The instruction figures out the rest. (With all the characters in "V1400 - V1401" it thinks it is a nickname.)
                  thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

The blind man has seen the light!

You and Scott are awesome! I am starting to like AD better than AB.

Comment

Originally posted by Ion View Post
                      You and Scott are awesome! I am starting to like AD better than AB.

Try Do-more and your journey to the light side will be complete. ;-)

Comment

hmm

I suppose I missed the most essential part. If x4 or x5 skips a cover yet a book is on the way I want to shut off binder. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
                          Try Do-more and your journey to the light side will be complete. ;-)
                          one step at a time...

I suppose I missed the most essential part. If x4 or x5 skips a cover yet a book is on the way I want to shut off binder. Any ideas?

skips? By not seeing? Explain this more, please...

Comment

Now that everything is running the timing goes well with the cover and the book. However if one cover skips the book that is timed to meet with that cover the book goes thru the machine w/o a cover. I want the cover feeder to shut off if x4 or x5 skips, rather there is a space between covers. In other words if one cover triggers x4 then there is no cover but then x4 is triggered by yet another subsequenly after a missed cover. Does that make more sense?
                            Last edited by Ion; 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Now that everything is running the timing goes well with the cover and the book.
                              so far, so good

I want the cover feeder to shut off if x4 or x5 skips, rather there is a space between covers. In other words if one cover triggers x4 then there is no cover but then x4 is triggered by yet another subsequenly after a missed cover. Does that make more sense?
                              without knowing the physical layout of your equipment, wouldn't the jam proxes shut the machine down whenever the count is greater than the specified count? The values for first & second count only get reset when the appropriate prox flags, so if no cover showed up by x count...

Comment

Working...
                              X