Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P2K saving retentive values rule of thumb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2K saving retentive values rule of thumb?

So, I had this bite in the butt.

I was online to a P2K back in June, and did one final save of the program before I left the customer. Today, he calls as he's edited some timers, and asked me what the values were when I left. Being the former Allen-Bradley guy I am, I open the project, to find NO VALUES. I know there are two .csv files I can look at in Excel, and I have the box under "Tools/Options/Project Transfer tab/Upload current retentive values and copy to initial values" checked. But when I look at the 4th column for the preset of a timer I know had a value in it when I left, it has a zero. I know this timer's preset was set to retentive.

My question is, what did I not do properly to get me into this?

Now, a word to Facts Engineering, if you're going to push Productivity against Allen-Bradley, having the project NOT populate the values that were there when last online can be a real deal killer.

I really like this PLC/PAC but y'all need to fix this!
    Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

The only time the initial values are updated for retentive tags are on a stop mode transfer or if you upload the project from the CPU (with option selected). Then you can save the project and it will have the latest values from the CPU.

A run time transfer will not update initial values. Saving the project does not update the initial values.

Comment

It would be great if that when you create a new tag and put an initial value in it that it sends it out in a runtime transfer. It would just be a few less steps when editing programs

Comment

Originally posted by dnj View Post
        The only time the initial values are updated for retentive tags are on a stop mode transfer or if you upload the project from the CPU (with option selected). Then you can save the project and it will have the latest values from the CPU.

A run time transfer will not update initial values. Saving the project does not update the initial values.
        @PAC devs.... Yeah? Really? A stop mode transfer is just the thing to keep a production facility ---umm -- PRODUCING-- just to save some values.
        in 1.9 you could copy (ctrl-c) array values from dataview and paste (ctrl-) into excel. No longer. Can we get that back?

Comment

I just don't understand what the difficulty is in having the project save the values present in the timers and counters. AD pushes the Productivity as a solution for A-B PLC users, but the P-Suite not performing that very basic function gives AD a vulnerability they should avoid.

- Walt Disney

Comment

Well,I do remember the AB screen dialog about reading tables. Depending on the interface, this dialog lasted and lasted.
            I would think that there is a tradeoff between WHAT snd HOW MANY tags get stored to hdd.
            maybe a tag database tickbox , or just ALL tags tied directly to timer, counter (and structure - type) instruction .
            maybe a menu/toolbar option that
            saves ALL tag values. This could take a while, so it would be programmer triggered.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio 5000.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	117779 RS Studio 5000 project, tags with values shown, no data view window necessary, and I'm not connected to a processor!
              Attached Files

- Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
              X