BRX Do-More Modbus Float32 Conversion from two 16bit Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRX Do-More Modbus Float32 Conversion from two 16bit Words

I've been trying to convert 2 16 bit integers into a float 32 value with the BRX PLC. I haven't done this in a few years but the last time I did was on an AB PLC, I believe you just needed to copy the two integers. I've searched and searched and I just come up with links to floating point conversions that make no sense. The 2 16 bit values I'm polling in to the PLC are correct and if I use Modbus poll, set to big Endian float32 on the two registers, I get the correct value. Has anyone actually done this in a BRX? I'm getting pretty frustrated because this should not be very hard, I spent the first half of the day converting a stupid Siemens Float 64 formula to work on this, IDK....

I should follow this up with this, so no one wastes their time in this area, I do not want to know the math behind this, I do not care today and it will only aggravate me further. I understand why a thoughtful reply would include this but it would be a waste of time, I used to know how and why but there is only so much room in one's brain for stuff. I only care about the conversion relevent to the BRX or even any Ladder logic, if I could find my old AB files I could see how I did this several years ago when I still cared.

Comment

If the byte/word order is correct, and you are using even offsets as the first word, you can simply cast. If it was stored in V0 and V1, just reference V0:R to access as float.

Barring that, use the SUBSCRIBE instruction to handle byte word ordering, alignment, and conversion.

Comment

Use PUBLISH or SUBSCRIBE. Also search Casting in the help file.
        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Got ya, thanks I'll try storing the value in the V memory and look at the casting subscribe stuff, although I haven't used casting or Subscribe so I don't know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybeef View Post
            Got ya, thanks I'll try storing the value in the V memory and look at the casting subscribe stuff, although I haven't used casting or Subscribe so I don't know what it is.
            Doesn't have to be V memory, I just used that as an example. Where is it stored now?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (157).png
Views:	37
Size:	924.3 KB
ID:	126829

Comment

I made the data type, it will accept binary inputs, shows the two 16 bit words in binary but I can't move the custom data type to an R memory space. I don't think I'm following this right.

Comment

BobO Right now I changed this to put the two values in the V5 and V6, they were in DLV1511 and DLV1512.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybeef View Post
                    BobO Right now I changed this to put the two values in the V5 and V6, they were in DLV1511 and DLV1512.
                    Needs to be even first to cast. DLV1510-11 or DLV1512-13 are fine. Then cast with :R...DLV1510:R.

Comment

Casting will only work if the byte word order is correct though. If the value doesn't look right, you'll need to use SUBSCRIBE to convert.

Comment

Thanks BobO, I'm not sure I understand " Then cast with :R...DLV1510:R." what is the ":R"? I'll change this to Even Memory right now.

Comment

Name:	Screenshot (159).png
Views:	39
Size:	871.1 KB
ID:	126836

Comment

The casting automatically add a D so it's :RD, no idea why, can't find it in the manual.

Comment

Same thing on publish and subscribe. The value I'm trying to get out of this disaster is 55.6

Name:	Screenshot (161).png
Views:	38
Size:	658.0 KB
ID:	126839

Comment

Working...
                              X