Using FTP to update recipe file in cmore EA9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using FTP to update recipe file in cmore EA9

Does anyone know how to update a cmore recipe file using FTP? I have set up a filezilla server on my laptop but have not been successful in communicating with the cmore.

You need the Filezilla client on your pc, and then use the Cmore ftp credentials to establish a connection with the Cmore server.
    Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
    Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Okay, I have been able to establish a connection using the filezilla client software. I can also view and edit the recipe file through the c-more server, but after i save the updated recipe file to the internal flash on the c-more it doesn't show up in the recipe database in the project file.

Comment

I am sorry, but I can't help you past this point. I have never used the built-in recipe's... Hopefully someone else on here can guide you further.
        Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
        Jason Wolthuis

Comment

This was just getting interesting.
          @nikdiehl -- Please keep us informed of your progress.

Like plcnut, I've never used HMI recipes.
          My excuse: the bother of updating them. I've stuck with PLC 'datatables' and used HMIs to update fields.
          This would be a new way of thinking about recipe/setup data.

Comment

I always store recipe data in the PLC too, and here are two reasons:

1) I figure if the PLC dies, the machine is dead anyway, and (some) machines can continue to operate without an HMI, until a new one is hooked up (long batch processes or inline processes that are designed not to depend upon the HMI in real time, for example). Therefore, I choose to put all my eggs in the PLC basket which works better if the HMI fails. This is especially critical if you're using a PC-based HMI and view PC's as less reliable than PLC's, on average.

2) I try to design stuff modularly. For example, I like to use Modbus as my HMI protocol rather than something brand-specific that might be available on fewer HMI's (or fewer PLC's), because it lets me choose best-of-breed in both PLC and HMI. But...I still tend to use Modbus or something widely supported, even when both PLC and HMI on the project are the same brand. Why? Because if a HMI comes out next year that I like better, I can almost guarantee it will do Modbus, though it may not do whatever brand-specific protocol I'd have used. So I'm safeguarding my ability to change individual parts of the architecture easily without having to redo the entire thing. Storing recipes on the HMI relies upon brand-specific (and thence less portable) functionality, so it violates this rule for very little return. The only advantage is that if your PLC breaks and you replace it, your recipes are intact (or in some applications your recipes may be so big and/or so numerous that it isn't feasible to store them in the PLC).

Comment

Ok, thanks for the insight. I am all for storing the recipes in the PLC. We currently have a system which runs a recipe for an extended amount of time, 2 to 3 months. After that a new set of requirements needs to be overwritten as the recipe. Each of these "recipes" may contain about 10,000 different data points. I am going to be "hard coding" several recipes which will be alternated in use. What I am trying to avoid is having the engineers access the PLC program to change values in the recipes. I would much prefer that they change the values in a spreadsheet/database and then load the data into a recipe file which can be accessed through FTP or Dataworx. The issue I am having with the dataworx right now is that all of the data points need to be individually mapped to the PLC tags, I am trying to make that a last resort being I have nearly 10,000 individual data points. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thank you.

Comment

What plc?

Can you describe any of the 'data points?'
                Are any datasets able to be calculated from other data?
                Can any bit data be packed into byte/word/doubleword?
                Can an ascii stream supply the data instead of a dataworx package?
                Maybe a Modbus read/write of the data from some Modbus-supported data system..

My P3k system can read, from Dataworx3pk, about twenty 32-bit words in one gulp, so that would mean a LOT of reads from a database.

Comment

Working...
                X