Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I reinitilize Port2 on DL06 RS232?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I reinitilize Port2 on DL06 RS232?

I am reading ASCII from a scale to get weight readings. I am using the DL06 with the scale wired to Port 2. This works great but when I remote in and make a program change, the communication stops and we are often unaware of it.

Is there a way in Ladder Logic to wake it up. Right now we have to go to the PLC and halt and set to RUN.

Remotely set the PLC to Program mode. Download the changed program. Then set it back to Run mode.

The pause when doing a change while in Run may be affecting your code. You may need to detect timeouts in the code and restart the communication section.
    thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

I would also love to able to setup the 2nd comm port from within my program.
      We build equipment and every time I load the project I have to set the comm port.

Not a big deal for me, but its just another step when other people have to build the equipment and load the software.

Comment

Refer to this and its links. This specifically sets up Modbus but you can tweak any of the parameters. The program calls the setup stage on first pass.
        thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by arjan View Post
          I would also love to able to setup the 2nd comm port from within my program.
          We build equipment and every time I load the project I have to set the comm port.

Not a big deal for me, but its just another step when other people have to build the equipment and load the software.
          Appendix K of the DL06 manual explains how to do this.

Comment

I followed bcarlton's link and figured it out.

Thanks all for the suggestions, it's appreciated

Comment

Another Issue on this subject

I now have a problem when users use this PLC and communications stop. I have the Port 2 on the DL06 on an A/B switch to switch between two scales.

Sometimes the switchover locks the buffer and I have to go out and toggle the modes on the PLC ( or remote in and do it)....Is there a way to clear the buffer? I can't seem to find this command.

Comment

The DL06 wasn't designed for switching the communications lines while powered up. There is no command to "reinitialize" the port.
                If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

You might try "reconfiguring" it to Modbus or K-Sequence, then back to non-sequence, all from within ladder logic. The "configuration" of the port in RUN mode may clear/reset the port. No guarantees. Also, no guarantee that this will work across all 06 firmware versions.

Try it. If it works, great. If not, you're no worse-off than you are now. But caveat emptor.
                  There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Working...
                  X