X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kip
    started a topic 0-10 volts Vrs. 4-20mA

0-10 volts Vrs. 4-20mA

I am getting ready to spec out a project with an analog prox (AM9-10-1H) and DL-06 Analog input module (F0-04AD-1 4-20mA input module or F0-04AD-2 0-10 Volt input).

The sensor will give 4-20mA or 0-10VDC. The current input module is a few bucks cheaper, but this is not a big factor

Is there any disadvantage to using 4-20mA?

Am I correct in thinking that the 4-20 signal is less sensitive to noise?

Are there any advantages to choosing 0-10 VDC?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kip

• pj.meza
    replied
    These are couple advantage 4-20ma over 0-10V.
    0V could be signal at lower level or Circuit in short.
    10V could be signal at max level or Circuit is open.
    Bellow 4ma, short circuit.
    Above 20ma, Open circuit.
    With 4-20ma is easy to set alarm level to know if circuit is open or short.

As mentioned before:
    4-20ma signal less susceptible to noise.
    4-20ma not susceptible to voltage drop on long rung wires.

Regarding test the 4-20ma; if you check the resistance on the module receiving the signal, just apply ohms law and create a table V=I*R. So it will be easy to check voltage which correspond to the 4-20ma.
    Ej: If PLC analog input resistance is 200ohms then 4ma = 0.8V 20ma=4V.

Hope it help,

Philip

Leave a comment:

• Tubecut
    replied
    It has been awhile since on the factory floor. But as I recall, the 4-20mA
    circuit(s) can be daisy chained. This may not be an issue with the OP, just wanted to mention that.

Leave a comment:

• Cap
    replied
    I have a Mix of both here. As stated 4-20 is more robust, 0-10 if faster to troubleshoot..
    For my 0-10 Volt Lines that are bothered by Noise ( Running next to or into a VFD! ), I will hang a 35 Volt 1,000 MF ( or So ) capicator on the Destination end of the Line.. it smooths out the noise, and so far has not lead to any percevable induced troubles..

Cap

Leave a comment:

• a agnone
    replied
    4-20mA is a better way to go, but in my case, my runs are not that far. 0-10v works better at our plant. It is easier for maintenance to use a voltmeter to see the signal. We can not be down for large amounts of time so the 0-10v works better for us. If you do make long runs, then maybe the 4-20ma is the way to go. I use 0-10v because it is easier and faster to trouble shoot.

Leave a comment:

• pressgrove
    replied
    Another reason to use 0-10v is because it is easier to test. You can just use a volt meter to test the signal, where on a 4-20mA signal you have to disconnect a wire and put your meter in series.

An easy way around this is to route all of your 4-20mA signals through a terminal block with a disconnect like these:

http://www.automationdirect.com/stat...pprotector.pdf

This way you can easily put your meter in series without having to disconnect any wiring.

Leave a comment:

• Kip
    replied
    Thanks for the responses. I will go with 4-20.

Kip

Leave a comment:

• Do-more PE
    replied
    If you have the opportunity, you should nearly always pick 4-20ma. As plcnut says, it is much more immune to noise and can travel farther without losing integrity.

Leave a comment:

• plcnut
    replied
    4-20 ma is more immune to noise, and more reliable over distance.
    I don't know that there are any advantages to 0-10 volt.
    I use 4-20 on everything if I can.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X