Data Logging Possible???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Logging Possible???

I have been assigned the task of logging data that is being processed by Click, both numerical and On/Off (including oven temps, alarms, vent pressure, etc). Customer service said that the program does not do data logging, but I believe there must be some method to do this anyway (where values could be streamed into a spreadsheet).

I have created a data view table with the relevant addresses, so I do have some degree of organization already, and in this mode the values seem to change on the screen about twice a second. Does anyone know of a way to modify the code on the program to feed these data points (which may be stored temporarily as they are displayed?) to an outside source to log them? I am studying composites manufacturing, so my knowledge of programming is little to none. If anyone has any helpful ideas, it would be much appreciated.

AdvancedHMI may be your cheapest route. AHMI can read (via Modbus) from the CLICK and store to *files* on the PC.

I know of no way for native CLICK programming to accomplish this.

See the following threads
    Intro http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...ht=advancedhmi
    Write to CLICK http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...ht=advancedhmi
    Read from CLICK http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...ht=advancedhmi
    Last edited by kewakl; 02-11-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

www.ljbeng.com DF3USB will log the Click!

Comment

Originally posted by ljbeng View Post
        www.ljbeng.com DF3USB will log the Click!
        Does the use of your device to log data require any additional software? Your guide mentions Modbus, which I frequently see mentioned alongside AdvancedHMI software. I am certainly interested in purchasing your product but I want to be sure It will perform my desired task.

Comment

Modbus is a comms protocol (or, rather a family of protocols) not a software package. Either a device supports Modbus, can be upgraded to support Modbus, or it doesn't support Modbus.
          Intermediate devices can be used to translate from one Modbus type to another (eg. RTU to TCP)
          There may be varying levels of Modbus support in any specific device.

According to ljbeng's link, his device supports Modbus, specifically CLICK (Modbus RTU.) **it seems that it is SERIAL only**
          The linked page does NOT indicate support for CLICK ETHERNET (Modbus TCP.) However, a Modbus Gateway can be use to convert Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP

Comment

Yes kewakl is correct the logger talks Modbus to the Click through port 1 or 2 and logs the values you require to a thumb drive.

Comment

Does anyone think they can identify the comms protocol from the PLC I will be using based the following picture? My guess is Ethernet (Modbus TCP). This PLC is located at a limited access site far away from me, so I have been unable to examine it recently to determine these specifications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150805_111704.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	104576

Comment

Update; the PLC is definitely connected to the computer with an ethernet cable. Does this mean that the protocol is definitely Modbus TCP? (In which case I would need a gateway).

Comment

It is hard to tell from your picture (do you happen to have the model number), however, I suspect it is not Ethernet, the Ethernet models seem to have a metal bezel around the port (for example https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts/C0-11DD1E-D ) I don't see anything shiny in the picture. I do see the RS485 port, and if it is not an Ethernet model it will also have two RS232 ports (one of which is MODBUS slave only)

Even if it is an Ethernet model, it will still have one RS232 port plus the RS485 port
                  Last edited by Tinker; 02-13-2017, 06:34 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

I just found the model- https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...its/C0-02DD2-D

Comment

It is definitely not the ethernet model, but I am certain that it connected to the computer via ethernet, connected to what looks like Port 1

Comment

ljbeng- Let me know if the following configuration will work. DF-3-USB Data Logger connected to Port 2 on C0-02DD2-D CLICK Analog PLC. How many variables can the device log at once? I have 10.

Comment

Originally posted by meikleh View Post
                          It is definitely not the ethernet model, but I am certain that it connected to the computer via ethernet, connected to what looks like Port 1
                          Port 1 on NON-ethernet clicks is an RJ-12 (6P6C) so it looks similar to an RJ45 (8P8C) ethernet connector , but a bit narrower.

Comment

meikleh, kewakl is correct, again you have a Click with 2 RS232 Serial Port and Port1 is connected to the PC Serial port using a DS Cable but it's not Ethernet. Port2 will work fine for the logger. You will need to check the PLC setup to make sure Modbus is turned on for Port 2. That should be default but someone may have changed it. You can log 20 values from DS and DF memory values in any mix or order plus add Time and Date stamps. The DF3 always logs to a single file.

Comment

ljbeng- Okay, I will most likely order your device then. Does it come with any instructional materials/a manual other than what is on your website?

Comment

Working...
                              X