Data Logging Possible???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meikleh
    started a topic Data Logging Possible???

Data Logging Possible???

I have been assigned the task of logging data that is being processed by Click, both numerical and On/Off (including oven temps, alarms, vent pressure, etc). Customer service said that the program does not do data logging, but I believe there must be some method to do this anyway (where values could be streamed into a spreadsheet).

I have created a data view table with the relevant addresses, so I do have some degree of organization already, and in this mode the values seem to change on the screen about twice a second. Does anyone know of a way to modify the code on the program to feed these data points (which may be stored temporarily as they are displayed?) to an outside source to log them? I am studying composites manufacturing, so my knowledge of programming is little to none. If anyone has any helpful ideas, it would be much appreciated.

• BrandonL
    replied
    I also had a hard time finding a reasonably priced logging program for Modbus RTU. So I made an application that I sell for a reasonable price on my website.

http://www.oakesindustrial.net/modbus-rtu-software.html

Leave a comment:

• icauto1
    replied
    The CLICK you have has 2EA. RS232 - RJ12 serial ports (Ports 1 & 2) and 1EA. terminal strip RS-485(port 3).

The logger located at:

www.plclogger.com
    PLC Logger/InterConnecting Automation Inc.
    http://www.interconnectingautomation.com

Works on any of those CLICK PLC ports. It comes with a cable ready to plug into ports 1 & 2 - RJ12. it also powers up off of either of those ports so no external power supply is required.

It is made to work with Automationdirect PLC's and Modbus PLC's and devices. The software tool used to configure it allows you to select the actual PLC addressing of the PLC that you are logging from when you use it to configure it.

The software tool is on the logger when you receive it. There is no software to purchase, download or load on your pc. When you plug it into your pc using USB(cable included), it shows up as a mass storage device(hard drive) in your computer. The software tool is on the logger and runs over the USB cable. The tool allows you to select the model of PLC from Automationdirect, how you want to trigger the logging - be it continous, event(triggered from the PLC), or interval( 1 second, 4 seconds, 2hours and 3 seconds), and select up to 55 locations to log in the CLICK native format. This means if you want to log DF1, DS3, C11, X12, from your CLICK, you just use the pull down menus in the tool and select those addresses. You can also select when to create a new file be it day, week, month, or event or when you get X amount of rows in your CSV file. There is no Modbus etc. if you are logging from an Automationdirect PLC like CLICK. The tool allows you to configure the logger using the addresses of the Automationdirect PLC selected. It does do Modbus PLC's or devices but if you have a Automationdirect CLICK PLC, there is no need to know Modbus.

If you go to:

http://www.interconnectingautomation...gger-tech-spec

There are videos of how to configure it etc. The videos on that page are the actual how-to videos that are on the logger when you purchase it. There are videos specific to each model including the CLICK PLC and how to set it up to log from a CLICK. You can view them and see if you think it will work for you. The manual is on the page above also for you to review.

You mentioned in your original post about code changes to feed the points to the device. In these types of situations, loggers, HMI's, SCADA software, it is a usually a master slave arrangement. The master(logger, HMI, SCADA, etc) polls the locations directly from the PLC communication ports and "usually" no code is necessary. We don't feed the points from the PLC to the master, the master requests the points directly and the slave(PLC) responds with the info the master requested.
    Last edited by icauto1; 02-21-2017, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bellni
    replied
    I've used the logger by interconnecting Automation for a few months now. It's great. You simply configure it with an easy to use tool plug it into the comm port on the plc and it logs to a micro sd card. Another nice feature is is that They placed how to videos onto the logger to help you configure it if needed. And you can't beat the price point!

Leave a comment:

• ljbeng
    replied
    I had not seen that one. Looks good. Thanks pressgrove.

Leave a comment:

• pressgrove
    replied
    I stumbled across this today, which appears to do the same thing....

A low cost PLC logger. Allows a customer to log data, downtime, reasons why machine is down, etc. to a MicroSD card in Excel format.

Leave a comment:

• ljbeng
    replied
    Just what's on the site. If you give me your values you want to log, I can create the log file that gets copied to the USB device and test it and email the file to you. Then you just copy the txt file to your thumb drive and it will start logging once you plug it in.

Leave a comment:

• meikleh
    replied
    ljbeng- Okay, I will most likely order your device then. Does it come with any instructional materials/a manual other than what is on your website?

Leave a comment:

• ljbeng
    replied
    meikleh, kewakl is correct, again you have a Click with 2 RS232 Serial Port and Port1 is connected to the PC Serial port using a DS Cable but it's not Ethernet. Port2 will work fine for the logger. You will need to check the PLC setup to make sure Modbus is turned on for Port 2. That should be default but someone may have changed it. You can log 20 values from DS and DF memory values in any mix or order plus add Time and Date stamps. The DF3 always logs to a single file.

Leave a comment:

• kewakl
    replied
    Originally posted by meikleh View Post
    It is definitely not the ethernet model, but I am certain that it connected to the computer via ethernet, connected to what looks like Port 1
    Port 1 on NON-ethernet clicks is an RJ-12 (6P6C) so it looks similar to an RJ45 (8P8C) ethernet connector , but a bit narrower.

Leave a comment:

• meikleh
    replied
    ljbeng- Let me know if the following configuration will work. DF-3-USB Data Logger connected to Port 2 on C0-02DD2-D CLICK Analog PLC. How many variables can the device log at once? I have 10.

Leave a comment:

• meikleh
    replied
    It is definitely not the ethernet model, but I am certain that it connected to the computer via ethernet, connected to what looks like Port 1

Leave a comment:

• meikleh
    replied
    I just found the model- https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...its/C0-02DD2-D

Leave a comment:

• Tinker
    replied
    It is hard to tell from your picture (do you happen to have the model number), however, I suspect it is not Ethernet, the Ethernet models seem to have a metal bezel around the port (for example https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts/C0-11DD1E-D ) I don't see anything shiny in the picture. I do see the RS485 port, and if it is not an Ethernet model it will also have two RS232 ports (one of which is MODBUS slave only)

Even if it is an Ethernet model, it will still have one RS232 port plus the RS485 port
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-13-2017, 06:34 PM. Reason: addition

Leave a comment:

• meikleh
    replied
    Update; the PLC is definitely connected to the computer with an ethernet cable. Does this mean that the protocol is definitely Modbus TCP? (In which case I would need a gateway).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X